Camshaft position sensor

Tommy Thomas

I have an 05 Wrangler that keeps throwing a camshaft position sensor code. I have replaced this in the past but just a week ago the dealer replaced it and did other stuff.

I have had a problem with the vehicle, LURCHING, gearbox related if the RPM got too high..I will accelerate until I feel it beginning to lurch then shift. It has been something that has plagued me for the last 5 years. When I did not have the shifting lurching, I would experience it at high gear around 2800 RPM.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and how to fix it?

Exasperated.

Tom

You should fill out your profile to tell us more about your TJ, for example - is it an auto? If so, it could be the PCM - you can call @Wranglerfix to discuss the symptoms and if it seems likely. Otherwise, I've been fighting the same thing which seems like it can be a grounding issue, stretched timing chain, etc.

Assuming it’s not the wiring harness, and that the dealer also synched it with the crankshaft position sensor, you need to find an OE Mopar camshaft position sensor, not a new sensor but one installed when your Jeep was built.

Very common issue.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...9iAF9kgEDMC4xmAEA&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

Thank you AL, the dealer did put a new Camshaft sensor in, but I am not sure he synced it with the camshaft as well. Is that something they do, or need to do each time?

Thank you AL, the dealer did put a new Camshaft sensor in, but I am not sure he synced it with the camshaft as well. Is that something they do, or need to do each time?

Most people say that if you disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and reconnect, that should be enough. But I have been wondering the same thing.

The cam needs to be installed with the engine at TDC. You can remove the #1 plug and stick a long screwdriver (or something else) into it, and turn the crankshaft to see when you are at TDC--it has to be on the compression stroke