Camshaft replacement

roadtrippin

My 2006 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0 has been checked for sensors, electrical and timing. Finally the last mechanic that looked at said the gear on the bottom of the distributor and the gear on the camshaft were worn. He said that the shavings from the gear may have gotten into the engine and could cause additional problems and suggest that I have a new engine installed, for a mere $6500. Is it possible that only the camshaft need to be replace and how much should I expect to spend to do so? My wife and I are retired and live on a fixed income, so money is tight. I don't want to do more than I have to getting this jeep running properly. It seems to run ok, but a check engine light comes (P0016) and they have ruled out sensors/or electrical being the problem. If anyone has any experience with this problem please let me know what I need and what I can expect to pay for labor.

Sounds like someone is feeding you b.s.

From what I gather, your OPDA is going bad (a common issue on 05-06 models), and it's taking out the camshaft gear with it. The first thing to do here is to pull your OPDA and take photos of the drive gear on the bottom (post photos if you need some input).

When you pull the OPDA out, shine a light down in the hole and take a picture inside there. If the gear inside there is worn, then it will need to be replaced as well, but I don't see how that warrants a whole new engine.

I'd also like to add that $6500 for an entirely new engine is a rip off. I paid $1800 for a fully refurbished 4.0 engine in my XJ. While I installed it myself, the shops I had quote me told me it would be around $2000-$2500 give or take.

Reactions: Boinked