Can '08 JK Rubicon axles fit my '97 TJ?

AKBear

Tried getting this thread in the right place.. Here is the story.

I got a 97 TJ SE like it a lot. Have a chance to buy a totaled roll over JK Rubi. Hoping the axels would swap out. If not directly what adaption kits are available?

Can it be done ? Is it a reasonable idea? I've been all wet before..

Thanks Bob

It can indeed be done. @cruzcode did it and many others have (he has a thread on it I believe). It’s far from a bolt-in affair though, and it’s going to take a lot of time, effort, and money, to get it setup correctly.

I would personally skip it unless you’re looking for a big project that’s going to lead to a much bigger rabbit hole.

Reactions: MutantNinjaTJ
I keep forgetting you western guys can run your tires out wide. Here I want as narrow as I can to fit between trees. You desert guys don't have that happen much. Do the Oragon and Washington folks go wide axles or stay narrower to fit easier on their trails?

Reactions: hamrickac
Thanks for the help guys!

Looks like that 08 Rubi wreck went for $600. But not to me.. It would have taken a 800+ mi RT to Anchorage to bring it home. I think it went Cheap.

Not to change things much. I've been reading about the Super 35 and a road / snow - ice friendly locker that might be more my speed, 30" tires in the summer, shorter Blizaks all winter LONG. Mostly logging roads chasing birds.

I keep forgetting you western guys can run your tires out wide. Here I want as narrow as I can to fit between trees. You desert guys don't have that happen much. Do the Oragon and Washington folks go wide axles or stay narrower to fit easier on their trails?

There are many trails here in Oregon that you can’t be wide and fit - it really just depends on how much tree you’re willing to rub or rock face you want to smear lol. I keep mine as narrow as I can with 35”s and still being able to steer which is about 1” wider on stock rubicon rims

Thanks for the help guys!

Looks like that 08 Rubi wreck went for $600. But not to me.. It would have taken a 800+ mi RT to Anchorage to bring it home. I think it went Cheap.

Not to change things much. I've been reading about the Super 35 and a road / snow - ice friendly locker that might be more my speed, 30" tires in the summer, shorter Blizaks all winter LONG. Mostly logging roads chasing birds.
Tire height doesn't matter in the snow. It's the width that counts. Skinny is the key. A taller tire will help keep the axle from dragging in the snow. You want a limited slip in the back. Nothing that locks the axle solid. Even the selective locker hurts you because you have to run it open for only 1 wheel (the one with the worst traction) gets powered. The Rubicon 44 may be the best choice giving limited slip or locked. I can't think of any other that gives you that choice.