Can anyone identify this soft top?

JRMskill

Hi all,
I recently purchased a 1999 Jeep TJ SE. The soft top is in bad condition and needs to be replaced. The soft top itself is a Rampage one. However, I’m not sure if the hardware is OEM or aftermarket. I’ve looked around on here and online but am having trouble definitively coming to a conclusion. Any opinions and help would really be appreciated!

1F510DEE-AF06-4B19-AF6D-2D6E70D7A079.jpeg

C1A99AAE-8279-40DB-891C-4A1D9C2244A9.jpeg

CDC046CB-31A9-4638-AEEB-EBE6A5FC35F0.jpeg

D1AE8ACA-A46C-44E1-ACF0-397CA0F5D272.jpeg

Last edited:
Completely after market , I see no stock TJ frame components at all. Rampage may sell you a skin only .

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. I called rampage and they informed me that I would have to buy an entire set again, soft top and hardware. I don't really want to waste that money. Do you know if other soft tops would fit over Rampage's hardware? Or is it exclusive to their soft top?

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. I called rampage and they informed me that I would have to buy an entire set again, soft top and hardware. I don't really want to waste that money. Do you know if other soft tops would fit over Rampage's hardware? Or is it exclusive to their soft top?

Don’t know know why you just can’t buy the soft top from them ? That’s pretty weird

You might want to check the aftermarket for used soft tops that include the stock frame. Make sure to get the sport bar mounts and door surrounds if you go that route.

If it's a Rampage frame, I'd urge caution trying to get replacement parts for it. They seem to cycle through a lot of manufacturers for their tops and often have small minute differences in some versions that aren't noticeable until you try to match replacement parts for one with the top from another.

Case in point, I tried to get a replacement back window for my frameless soft top a while back and the replacement window which was part of a soft top they made that looked exactly like the one I had didn't fit because the zippers ran in opposite directions. It took a bit of dealing with customer service for them to find out the exact specific serial number for the soft top I bought in order to get the right replacement window.

In other words: Consider just buying a complete new top (frame and all). Even if you can just buy the cloth skin to go on the frame, there's a real risk that there may be fitting issues that result in you going through customer service hell with returns and exchanges.

If you're on a budget, you could consider scrapping the frame that came with the Jeep and getting a frameless top. Personally, I've loved mine since I like the way it looks and the ability to completely take off the soft top instead of just folding it to the back, but your mileage may vary depending on your preferences.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks everyone for the input, I appreciate it.

Indeed, for some reason, Rampage refuses to sell me just the soft top that comes in their complete kit. In any case, as Equilibrium31 mentioned, I think my best bet is to look for a new top altogether — I think I like tan more anyway!

Waking this thread up!
My top blew apart at the sticking. Happened while my GF was flying around the island while I was out of town!
Mine is the Rampage brand.
Has anyone found a good source or replacement fabric and windows for the full steel door situation?

And does anyone have a good recommendation for a complete replacement? The frameless? NOT BLACK for goodness sakes!!!!?

Last edited:
Waking this thread up!
My top blew apart at the sticking. Happened while my GF was flying around the island while I was out of town!
Mine is the Rampage brand.
Has anyone found a good source or replacement fabric and windows for the full steel door situation?

And does anyone have a good recommendation for a complete replacement? The frameless? NOT BLACK for goodness sakes!!!!?
We will need to come over, drive it around the island, and determine the weather, wind and overall situation for a few weeks and then go from there.

Thanks everyone for the input, I appreciate it.

Indeed, for some reason, Rampage refuses to sell me just the soft top that comes in their complete kit. In any case, as Equilibrium31 mentioned, I think my best bet is to look for a new top altogether — I think I like tan more anyway!
What did you end up getting and did it work out?