Can full doors still close without door surrounds installed with bikini top?

FirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
I have a bikini top I’m going to install but to do it I have to remove the door surrounds. Can the full doors still close correctly without the surrounds installed?

I have a bikini top I’m going to install but to do it I have to remove the door surrounds. Can the full doors still close correctly without the surrounds installed?
They can but at the risk of cracking the welds that hold the window frame to the main door. Without the door surrounds in place the upper window frame will flex inward every time the door is closed non-gently which tends to break the welds at the very bottom of each side of the upper window frame.

In other words, I wouldn't run without the upper door surrounds in place. At least not often.

Reactions: 31ster
If it's a Bestop bikini top, they are made to be used with, or without, door surrounds. Velcro for the sport bar, or rail tabs for the surrounds. Personally, I like running mine with the surrounds. It keeps the top much tighter, and doesn't dump water inside the Jeep should it rain.