Can I get opinions on this 04 Rubicon?

jeep.rookie

I'm planning to look at two jeeps today, and this may be one of them. It's a 2004, manual transmission, with just under 100k miles. It's only had two owners, both in the south, and doesn't appear to have a rust issue. It has a clean carfax. I also don't think it has even been off road. It's listed at $17,500, which seems high to me, but then most Rubicons that I've seen tend to run high.

It has a 4.5" Rubicon Express lift, 35x14.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers, and Degan 38 wheels.

Can you give me some thoughts on it, including what a reasonable price would be for it? Thanks.

rubi-01.jpg
rubi-02.jpg
rubi-03.jpg
rubi-04.jpg
rubi-05.jpg
rubi-1.jpg
rubi-2.jpg
rubi-3.jpg
rubi-4.jpg
rubi-5.jpg
rubi-6.jpg
rubi-7.jpg
rubi-8.jpg

Reactions: Jason06
You F-ing Southerners need to stop putting pics of your frame and undercarriage, or at least warn us Rustbelters, before hand that a completely rust free picture is posted. At least say you just did a $30k frame off restoration! Christ! It's making me suicidal. Cars have more rust brand new on the dealership lot than that has. Seriously. All I get is high taxes and no lizards!

Price seems fair, I've seen them higher and I've seen them lower. I doubt you'll have much luck getting the price down unless it's been listed for a long time.

Looks nice. Price is a little high, but someone will probably buy it. Maybe try $16,500 and go from there. I got mine for $13K and put probably $4k in it, but I only have 52k miles on it. Still that one looks very clean.

I would drive it on the highway and see how those wide tires track.
Might be worth the money if it's exactly what you want. Otherwise, get something cheaper so you can build it the way you want.

What's your intended purpose? If it's a trail rig, I wouldn't ever pay that much. If you want a nice driver, that's not a terrible deal but your also in nice LJ territory as well.

I recently gave 14 for an '03 with 82K miles, no rust and no mods. I'm glad I got a clean slate to start with. It wasn't a great deal but I don't think it was a bad deal either. The seller knew what it was worth.

I'd say it's a clean jeep but a little high on the milage for that price. Those nittos are super aggressive and will howl on the highway. Would you keep the Rubicon express lift or swap it out?

I think the high price is only worth it if you want to keep it exactly like it is, if you are gonna swap out wheels / tires / suspension you'll be in it for a lotta money.

Reactions: rasband
Remember , it takes north of 5000 to build one , up to 10,000 .

Not saying they all need built , but if one is built wrong , it can cost that much to fix also .

Gearing is essential and worth 2000.00 easily . More if done wrong with a minus in front of it.

I ended up pulling the trigger on it. I got him to come down $1,000 and got it for $16,500. Some might still say that’s a bit high, but what sold me on it is the overall condition. The interior looks brand new. Exterior and frame are also in excellent condition with no rust. It has only had two owners and both were in the carolinas.

The first owner was an older man who had it for about 13 years and kept it bone stock. The servicing book is still in the glove box and documents every single servicing for those 13 years, all the way up to 87k miles. The second owner had it for right at 3 years. He is the one who added the lift, tires, etc. and he kept the jeep in the garage and only put about $10k miles on it in those 3 years. It has never done any wheeling. I definitely think knowing that it was taken care of adds value to it.

I’m fine with the lift and wheels. I would prefer 12.5 tires to the 14.5, but i can live with the 14.5. I can just switch to 12.5 once it’s time for them to be replaced. The tires are definitely loud at about 50+ mph. That said, the tires are basically brand new (about 5k miles on them). And the jeep came with the matching fifth tire as the spare. I considered buying a different set of 35’s and selling these since they are in such great condition, but I don’t know how I would go about selling them if I went that route. Is that something I should be able to do if I wanted to go that route? Craigslist? Ebay (although I can’t imagine shipping these tires)? Any recommendations?

I don’t plan on doing any heavy wheeling. I wouldn’t mind some moderate wheeling at some point, though, which is part of why I went ahead and went with the rubicon instead of another trim that would need regearing, axles, etc.

I had to drive it three hours home on the interstate, and I was extremely surprised by how smooth it rode at higher speeds.

Reactions: Creakydoor
It looks really clean ...it's worth the money to get one you are proud of .

Get familiar with the lockers and exercise them off road occasionally

Whoever had that knew what they were doing to some extent , it's got some good products on it .

Stay on the forum , it will help you in a little of ways , consider blind spot mirrors and practice the Jeep wave.

Once you are on here 6 months , and get enough likes , we can let you in the inner circle and teach you the secret "tj Jeep wave-rubicon edition".

It's very powerful, don't use it on non Rubicon models .

Those wheels are way too big IMHO, but I think it looks super clean otherwise!

it looks PHAT. pretty hot and tempting but

You may need to adjust the windshield wipers which can be time consuming, and the shine on the tires lead me to believe it may have never been proven off road. the Gun metal sheen the hard top has leads me to think the owner has rubbed it down numerous times and that maybe something hard to live with. The milk jugs look as thought they actually never held any milk so no one can predict if they are really useful. and the lugs on the grapplers look like they are crying out for a bite. The lift spring look as if they were in a sales catalog, lets see some flex please. and the red check on the frame, well that is just self explanatory, however it is upside down. The red paint is so red it almost looks fake. I would not trust it. You never know......... It maybe blue. And finally no one runs shock boots anymore. Who in there right mind thinks a boot on a shaft does any good. But this is the hardest part...……...…….. its your money. If I had 17K, sold would be my answer. The most wonderful and beautiful part of a Jeep. The thing that lead me to Jeeps, the thing that keeps me so interested in Jeeps is that you can buy anything for it or there are so many people that will help you and or do the work for you (if you want to pay someone what they are worth). Long story short, looks like a good deal if you want to spend the money, but don't aks mee I maybe drunnk by now!!!!

Those wheels are way too big IMHO, but I think it looks super clean otherwise!

I can agree that they are a bit too big. I would prefer 12.5 if given a choice but the 14.5 wasn’t a deal breaker for me. Since they are practically new, would I have a decent shot at selling them if I wanted to and going with something smaller? I have no clue what kind of market is out there for selling tires. Maybe list them of facebook marketplace, craigslist, etc.?

I can agree that they are a bit too big. I would prefer 12.5 if given a choice but the 14.5 wasn’t a deal breaker for me. Since they are practically new, would I have a decent shot at selling them if I wanted to and going with something smaller? I have no clue what kind of market is out there for selling tires. Maybe list them of facebook marketplace, craigslist, etc.?

I hear ya! Yep, 12.5" would be idea. I looked at them and thought, "Wow, those things are way too wide!". Still, that's an easy fix for an otherwise clean vehicle! You should have no issue selling them either here, Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace.