Can I paint soft doors?

SgtMajor138

Long-time Jeeper
Supporting Member
I recently purchased a set of lower and upper soft doors for my 2000 TJ. They are in great shape and perfect for what I needed. My only issue with them is it looks like they have either had something dragged across them and left a residue or something has discolored a small part of the material. They are currently black and I plan on keeping them that color.

I have tried a few cleaners to see if I could get whatever has stained them out but have had no luck so far. I do have another cleaner to try (303), but I am afraid the marks are there to stay. Does anyone know of a paint or dye that I can use on the soft door material that will hold up to the elements? TIA

curious.... I am sure you could, but doubt it would hold up long term. I wonder if a dye would be better?

Joanna's may have some fabric die. I doubt it'll match exactly but might get you close.

Never heard of someone doing it.

There are many brands of fabric paint. :cool:

71Gz2F5PEXL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Last edited:
I used some fabric paint from Home Depot on my wife’s awning outside her business. year later doing well - now that’s canvas material and not a vinyl.

I am in the camp - do it, what do you got lose? even if you have to touch it up later- still $$ ahead.

Reactions: Alex01 and Wildman