Can I push or pull gravel with my TJ for a shared gravel driveway?

gg1

TJ Enthusiast
Thinking way outside the box here, but maybe someone is an earthmover or....well has an idea?? I have a gravel road behind my home and it is private and shared with neighbors. The watcher pushes stone around and it is a drag. I have a 2" hitch. I see people dragging baseball fields and whatnot, can I drag gravel or rack gravel. 2b limestone that is somewhat loose. Is there a way? It would be awesome if I can find a way to use my TJ for this. The run isn't that long and by hand it is hard on me these days as I work 6-7 days a week. There has to be a way that can just move the gravel around some. I know I can rent a cat, but hoping there is something for my jeep with some....well thought.

Thanks for any ideas. I'll keep searching the web. I might make something if I have to.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Really not much too it, find a spike-tooth drag harrow for scrap price and pull it with a chain, lay the teeth pretty flat so it drags the material and fills in holes better. I've also seen people pull heavy wire mesh with a couple concrete blocks to weight it down.

Pulling it won't be an issue. Where you most likely will have issues is turning around without dragging stone into a yard.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Wow, thanks for the replies so far. I do want to add the driveway has a grade to it, but not "steep". That being said, I am hoping to drag in one direction and then lift going back down the hill. I know that is a VERY tall order. For a job that is once or twice a year, I am okay getting out of the TJ and taking weight off whatever I am dragging and then drive back down and then load the rack or whatever I am dragging. I know nothing is better than a cat or front loader for this job, but at $350 a pop and then seeing if anyone will rent me one and then getting it to my backyard, I am hoping not to do that. The rack might work as it is more controlled. Not sure about spike-tooth drag harrow, but that is a possibility as well. Thanks very much for the responses.

I used a rail way tie and 30 ft tow strap.

About a foot in from each end I drilled a hole all the way thur, then using a long bolt I took a foot of chain made a loop thru the tow strap end loops then bolt goes thur the chain tightened it up.

I have a foot drop hitch that lets me pull fairly parallel to the ground.

With the tow strap I can adjust the angle of the railway tie to grade to one side or the other by wrapping around the trailer ball.
'
I do 3 wraps and it will hold.

Set the tie at about a 30 degree angle.

It is quicker to drag my road with this set up vs using my tractor,

Reactions: alittleoff
When I was a kid, growing up on a dirt road, one of the neighbors had a big ole flatbed. He'd drag a pair of king sized box springs down the road, weighted down with whatever junk he had on hand - a couple of old axles, a RR tie or two, plus whatever neighborhood kids were handy. 2 or 3 passes, and the road was FANTASTIC and we all had a ton of fun!

I guess my style would be something that could be raised and lowered as needed. To be honest, it is sort of amazing that something doesn't exist. With all the 2" receivers out there, one would think you could drag a little blade on the back with a little hydraulic lift. It doesn't have to be very bit. 3' across to do a few passes. No one makes such a thing? I have searched and searched with no luck. Should I create this? Maybe I am the only nut bag that needs such a tool? lol

Why not!
12219516_1688400744739248_266320788120063023_n-jpg.2364

I used my TJ with this chain drag to maintain an arena while I was waiting on my Kubota order last year. I used a hitch receiver with a hook to connect to the loop in the drag's chain.

It's better than nothing but it's also nowhere near as good as a tractor with a three-point hitch, but if you only need it on a sporadic basis it will probably be good enough. A chain drag like mine won't actually move much material, especially not uphill, but it will definitely smooth out and distribute what's there.

174450249_10158302317722896_7039214753636356767_n.jpg

Edited to add photographic proof.

Last edited:
Okay there is stuff out there for such a thing. If I has an attachment that I could use a couple times a year for this run, it would be great to not have to rent or deal with someone delivering a front loader or whatever. This looks promising. Once you have a three point hitch, you can run anything that drags from a tractor or ATV it seems. This is a light duty job with mostly loose gravel that moved from rain runoff. I could plow snow for people as well, but I am in it to be a good neighbor to those that are older than I. What do you think of this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FMS7JH2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It is pricy and then you need a small winch to run this. Is there a cheaper route? I am in this for over a grand most likely, but three times running it pays for itself. I don't even need to do this, but I sort of want to help my neighbors. Why not?

Last edited: