Can I push or pull gravel with my TJ for a shared gravel driveway?

Okay there is stuff out there for such a thing. If I has an attachment that I could use a couple times a year for this run, it would be great to not have to rent or deal with someone delivering a front loader or whatever. This looks promising. Once you have a three point hitch, you can run anything that drags from a tractor or ATV it seems. This is a light duty job with mostly loose gravel that moved from rain runoff. I could plow snow for people as well, but I am in it to be a good neighbor to those that are older than I. What do you think of this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FMS7JH2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It is pricy and then you need a small winch to run this. Is there a cheaper route? I am in this for over a grand most likely, but three times running it pays for itself. I don't even need to do this, but I sort of want to help my neighbors. Why not?

If you have a welder you could make that pretty inexpensively.

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
So, just my two cents. I used to drag my parents driveway with a steel rake. It was pretty heavy. I kept blowing water pumps. Either during the drag, or shortly after. I stopped doing it because of this. I feel like the TJ just isn’t a heavy enough vehicle for what I was doing. Your results may vary.

Okay there is stuff out there for such a thing. If I has an attachment that I could use a couple times a year for this run, it would be great to not have to rent or deal with someone delivering a front loader or whatever. This looks promising. Once you have a three point hitch, you can run anything that drags from a tractor or ATV it seems. This is a light duty job with mostly loose gravel that moved from rain runoff. I could plow snow for people as well, but I am in it to be a good neighbor to those that are older than I. What do you think of this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FMS7JH2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It is pricy and then you need a small winch to run this. Is there a cheaper route? I am in this for over a grand most likely, but three times running it pays for itself. I don't even need to do this, but I sort of want to help my neighbors. Why not?

I think your overthinking this. IMO your going to spend a bunch of money and still have shitty setup. If raising the drag is the issue, I would modify a harrow section where you can manually lift it onto some wheels or a caddy for just a couple time a year use.

I have a 50 hp tractor with a front loader and a rear blade and I'll promise you when it comes time to grade out my 200' driveway the tractor sits in the shed. The drag and an atv just does a better job at maintaining a driveway.

People move gravel w/ atvs and lawn tractors, surly a TJ can do at least that much. Use 4low and don't take too big of a bite.

something like this:

Reactions: TJ Starting
I'm looking into something like this...

https://www.ruralkingsupply.com/item.php?id=483#
1661365097473.png

I maintain about a mile of gravel driveways at my place with a skid steer loader and a 55 HP tractor equipped with a loader bucket and a 3-way blade on the 3 point hitch.

Gravel is forever wanting to work itself away from the driveway center out to the edges. The blade allows for pulling it back into the center and smoothing it back down. With the cost of gravel what it is, I don't want to be throwing it off the driving lane. The 3-point hitch also includes a draft control valve that gives me fine control over the depth of cut. That helps me avoid cutting down through the top layer of lighter base and pulling up the heavier material from beneath.

The skid steer loader is nice for moving around gravel when I get a truckload hauled in for maintenance now and then. I can get the truck to just dump it in a pile and then haul it where I need it. I always keep some on hand for repairs.

I use my chain harrow for smoothing my dirt farm roads and preparing pastures for seeding, but never on my gravel driveways.

@gg1 I suggest you stop making it overly complicated and expensive for no reason and drag some chain, or chain link, like pictured above. You're not trying to build a driveway, just maintain it. Find some scrap fence and build this below, then pull it with something that can pull it like a lawn mower, 4-wheeler, or Jeep.

1661428079607.png

Also, that thing you linked on amazon looks very gimmicky and like a complete waste of time and money.

@gg1 I suggest you stop making it overly complicated and expensive for no reason and drag some chain, or chain link, like pictured above. You're not trying to build a driveway, just maintain it. Find some scrap fence and build this below, then pull it with something that can pull it like a lawn mower, 4-wheeler, or Jeep.

View attachment 353782

Also, that thing you linked on amazon looks very gimmicky and like a complete waste of time and money.

Use an old box spring...

When I was a kid, growing up on a dirt road, one of the neighbors had a big ole flatbed. He'd drag a pair of king sized box springs down the road, weighted down with whatever junk he had on hand - a couple of old axles, a RR tie or two, plus whatever neighborhood kids were handy. 2 or 3 passes, and the road was FANTASTIC and we all had a ton of fun!

I was going to ask if I was the only one thinking about an old fashion box spring. I should have known I wasn't but I will say that your post has far out done the picture in my head.

Did ever ind anything that works? I am wanting to do the same
Thinking way outside the box here, but maybe someone is an earthmover or....well has an idea?? I have a gravel road behind my home and it is private and shared with neighbors. The watcher pushes stone around and it is a drag. I have a 2" hitch. I see people dragging baseball fields and whatnot, can I drag gravel or rack gravel. 2b limestone that is somewhat loose. Is there a way? It would be awesome if I can find a way to use my TJ for this. The run isn't that long and by hand it is hard on me these days as I work 6-7 days a week. There has to be a way that can just move the gravel around some. I know I can rent a cat, but hoping there is something for my jeep with some....well thought.

Thanks for any ideas. I'll keep searching the web. I might make something if I have to.

Just be aware that the chain will only level the loose gravel. If you have ruts or washboards forming, the chain will not break up the hard formations.

Reactions: John Cooper
I use an 8’ drag made out of heavy angle iron and a piece of aircraft landing mat weighted down with RR ties. To dress the asphalt grindings in my RV storage yard. I change the rope length to angle it. Put the TJ in 1st low turn on the tunes and go. i also have a 7’ land plane tht I put on my tractor.

E4F3129F-BA0E-4EC2-9B6A-3DE8606100AF.jpeg

75F89799-23E4-482D-B3AB-32705D0E5187.jpeg

9D646736-6F86-4D12-BF83-1D022398FF56.jpeg

CA08EB39-C495-4894-993D-B8589927F512.jpeg

40A501BA-54B7-4A17-B71D-EDD02DB0900D.jpeg

Reactions: JPHikr
They do stuff like that with atv and utvs. I would probably look at whats offered for utvs as it would probably be more info on it. Probably would want some sort of box blade with wheels to adjust height