Can I re-use the rear axle retaining plate bolts?

04LJ

Looking for a census on if folks that have re-used the retaining plate bolts (rear Dana 44 axle). I have replaced the nuts, but i did not replace the bolts. So, is this an issue? I looked in the factory service manual and it says to do both...but have heard that the nuts are the most important to replace. Thanks in advance

I want to bring back an older thread with a bit of a different twist.

What if I need to replace the bolt? Dealership says bolts don't exist anymore. Does anyone know what size they are? Mine are pretty bad and putting in new shafts so it's a good time.

Grade 8 Fine Hex Cap Screws, 3/8-24 x 1-1/4 — Is what I found on another thread but people were asking if it is ok that it is all thread. If you go to 1-1/2 then there is a small bit of unthreaded.

I might just order both bolt sizes to see if the 1-1/2 will work or hack off a bit of the end.

I want to bring back an older thread with a bit of a different twist.

What if I need to replace the bolt? Dealership says bolts don't exist anymore. Does anyone know what size they are? Mine are pretty bad and putting in new shafts so it's a good time.

Grade 8 Fine Hex Cap Screws, 3/8-24 x 1-1/4 — Is what I found on another thread but people were asking if it is ok that it is all thread. If you go to 1-1/2 then there is a small bit of unthreaded.

I might just order both bolt sizes to see if the 1-1/2 will work or hack off a bit of the end.
The bolts are in fact the Grade 8 Hex head cap screws in 3/8-24. One flat has been removed to be flush the the bolt shank. 1.5" will be fully threaded if it is a tap bolt. Some unthreaded section under the head if it isn't. Either is fine.

Reactions: JeepingNet