Can I run these '97 Cherokee wheels on a TJ?

Hi all, these 15" wheels are off of a '97 Chrokee. Wondering if they would bolt up nicely with a 2004 LJ. Obviously both have a 5 x 4.5 pattern, and hub center and stud size match as well. Not sure about offset/backspace. Wonder if anyone else is running these on their TJ's.

1611107038175.png

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think those wheels are actually from a YJ or older Cherokee.

What wheels are you replacing? Seems like those would probably be somewhat of a downgrade. I am running those same tires though. $75 Goodyears!

Also consider there are only four? (No spare) and that you can probably buy a similar set of much more modern looking TJ era wheels for cheap.

Here's how to measure your backspacing, it's the distance between the inner-most wheel edge and mounting flange. Those Cherokee wheels probably have 5.25 to 5.5" of backspacing which is too much for wider than factory tires.

Measuring-Wheel-Backspacing.jpg

Forget the offset term when talking Jeep or truck wheels, offset is a different measurement that is more useful for car wheels.

Jerry - I was reading some of your posts about your preference of not using larger tires with stock rims. I'd like to use 31x10.5 x15 tires with 15 x 8 wheels, but want the tires to be mounted inside of the wheel wells. Would you suggest a backspace of 4.75 - which seems to give a little more room than a stock Ravine wheel - but hopefully keeps the wheel inside the fender.

Jerry - I was reading some of your posts about your preference of not using larger tires with stock rims. I'd like to use 31x10.5 x15 tires with 15 x 8 wheels, but want the tires to be mounted inside of the wheel wells. Would you suggest a backspace of 4.75 - which seems to give a little more room than a stock Ravine wheel - but hopefully keeps the wheel inside the fender.
All stock wheels with 31x10.5 tires will keep the tires inside the fenders. Most if not all the stock wheels from Jeep XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ etc that will fit have higher backspacing and the wheel will be tucked inside the fenders. To achieve a lower backspace similar to an aftermarket wheel, many will use a wheel spacer with a stock wheel to achieve a similar look. Wheel spacers can be okay if the correct ones are used, and they are well made, but stay away from the cheap Chinese spacers. They WILL roll your Jeep and cause a major accident if they loosen up.

But if I want to use an aftermarket wheel that I found, would you suggest a higher backspace, like 4.75 to keep more of a stock look?
It all goes back to what Jerry posted with his measurements. 4.75 would be closer to stock, as stock is around 5.25ish. It depends how much you want the tires to stick out from the fenders, some states don't even allow them to stick out at all.

Personally, I run factory Canyon 15x8 wheels with 31x10.5 and they don't stick out at all with my Sahara flares. I did have to add a washer behind the steering stops so the inside of the tire wouldn't rub the lower control arm during tight turns. Aftermarket wheels would eliminate this issue, but the tires would also be pushed further out and have a wider stance.

The largest tire I would ever run is 10.5" wide, so I was thinking the 4.75 aftermarket would give just a little more breathing room than the 5.25 stock wheels. I kind of like the D style black wheels from Vision - 15 x 8's with 4.75" BS