Can I share the external speaker wire between both my CB and GMRS radios?

Plumber1

Tito's, Tacos and Trails
Supporting Member
Ok so I have a Uniden CB with an ext speaker. I just installed a Midland MXT275 GMRS, can I splice into the wire to the external speaker so I can share the speaker between both radios ? Or can I do this and only have one radio on at a time ?

Also since I mounted mine out of the way I need to run an extension and a new outlet for the RJ45 connector from the speaker. Can I use a std cat 5 male x male cable and then something like this outlet plug mounted in my dash or console ? As you can tell I am no electrical wizard, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_8115.jpg

IMG_8113.jpg

4130-06.jpg

Reactions: Ephry73
Good question

I am curious about this myself since I have both a CB and a GMRS radio and would like to use the external speaker for both if possible.

Reactions: Ephry73
Good question

I am curious about this myself since I have both a CB and a GMRS radio and would like to use the external speaker for both if possible.
Well you know all we need is Jerry B's reply and then we will have our answer 🤔

I have my CB running an aux speaker in the center console (where a sub-woofer is located in some Jeeps) - and am thinking of the above product, although its pricey, and I really need something for 3 radios, not just 2. With that said, the GMRS internal speaker sounds kind of tinny, the Ham may be able to get by without an aux.

Looks like it’s cheaper and more efficient to just buy an extra speaker.
If you can find a place to put it!
Oh yeah, I've got the Arizona Rocky Road mount so there's plenty of room for that.
I have exactly that too - so I have 2 of my 3 radios there, meaning I have 2 of my 3 speakers there as well. Not too happy with the tinny GMRS though. The CB sounds FANTASTIC through the center console, so I'm thinking of routing at least that through one of the above overpriced gadgets. But you're right - I could put better speakers on the ARR mount too - I hadn't thought of that.

Reactions: Chris
If you can find a place to put it!

I have exactly that too - so I have 2 of my 3 radios there, meaning I have 2 of my 3 speakers there as well. Not too happy with the tinny GMRS though. The CB sounds FANTASTIC through the center console, so I'm thinking of routing at least that through one of the above overpriced gadgets. But you're right - I could put better speakers on the ARR mount too - I hadn't thought of that.
When I get mine back I’ll have to take photos, but I have the speaker mounted on the ARR mount right next to the CB. I was thinking maybe I’ll just put on on the other side and connect it to the GMRS. That external speaker makes a huge difference on my CB sound quality.

I have two of these, they're specifically for communications like ham and CB radios and they're fairly inexpensive. They don't need a lot of power to produce lots of volume, I discovered them in my local ham radio store. Ham Radio Outlet sets them by the boat load and they're on Amazon for $24. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AR09UOU/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Speaker.jpg

That's not a bad price since all the wiring is done for you.
You know it's funny how you through out a questions and others on this forum come up with all kinds of shit that I never even knew existed (y)

And many times it is just what you're looking for, such as these switches. I would not even know where to look or even call it to google it. Thanks Zorba