Can I share the external speaker wire between both my CB and GMRS radios?

I bought one of these little guys and am in the process of hooking it up and will have to how well it works. I like the idea of not having 2 speakers. I have some OCD issue about my jeep and like things neat and tidy looking 🤭

The only thing I wish was this thing had some type of tab for mounting it. :unsure:

AB.jpg

Please let us know, I have been looking for something like this for my CB and ham.

Although, having grown up in the trades, I'm having concerns about a plumber hooking up switches... :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: Plumber1
You can also just install a simple DPDT ( on-off-on ) switch. They run about $5 on amazon.

SWITCH.jpg

And then just wire it as follows....

DPDT.png

Reactions: Bigmac
These are small and put out decent sound in a Jeep.

RoadPro RPSP-15 Universal CB Extension Speaker with Swivel Bracket, 2-3/4 x 4-1/2" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZIC18Q/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I have either this exact one or identical.
I've had to repair the input wires at the entrance to the speaker body three times over the last 5 years but it's still works after that.
Oh, and replacing the 3.5mm plug as it developed a open.

A mixer could be used to connect the output of both radios into one speaker.
But it might be more trouble than it would be worth as you would likely need to bring the audio level down to line in voltages.
But you could prob implement a priority audio input as the AB-auto switcher talks about.
hamradioworkbench is a podcast that I listen to that has covered mixers in a few episodes while discussing station accessories and station control.

A opamp mixer with a section to pad the input to bring it down to the right level wouldn't be too hard to do tho.
Wonder if there is a pcb design in oshpark for something like this.
And looks like one of the hosts / guests from that podcast has created a board in oshpark.
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/mbVrI5zbYou would need a amplified speaker after this, so still might be too much trouble.

Something to mull over...

I use two separate speakers one CB an the other 2M. Cb sits in the middle on top of dash and the 2M sits on drivers side next to windshield upright. This is so I Know which microphone to grab without looking at the radios.