Can I supercharge or turbocharge my 4.0?

Ejforan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
im wondering if it was possible for me to ever supercharge or turbo charge my 4.0 its stock 98 three speed so what steps would be needed to be taken for this kind of thing I am more curious over anything.

Absolutely can be done. How cheaply or easily is dependent upon your skill level. Type 'supercharger' into the search bar for days of reading.:)

There are many superchargers and turbo options available for the 4.0.

Boosted Tech, Sprintex, and Magnum Powers (my favorite) all make supercharger kits. Banks makes a turbo kit as well that @RubiconMike runs.

Could you basically just throw it on and go or did u have to regear or any kind of big things to do

You can install it on a stock engine as long as you don't run over 8 psi or so. You don't need to re-gear or anything. It's pretty much just a bolt-on affair to be honest. One of the reasons I like them so much!

You can install it on a stock engine as long as you don't run over 8 psi or so. You don't need to re-gear or anything. It's pretty much just a bolt-on affair to be honest. One of the reasons I like them so much!
Gas mileage bomb? Still a definate issue for the wrangler obviously.

Are the axles already geared appropriately for the tire size?

Last edited:
I got to say i dont know but i know its dana 44 real and dana 30 front

Having followed several forced induction threads, the common advice from those I tend to trust is to get the axle gearing squared away before adding boost.

Reactions: Alex0413
Having followed several forced induction threads, the common advice from those I tend to trust is to get the axle gearing squared away before adding boost.
I have to agree,why add power and fight incorrect gearing .

@Chris What made Magnum powers your favorite and it one of those life purchases where you get what you pay for.

It's a clean sheet design. The Boosted Tech supercharger is an Eaton M90 from a 90s Buick.

The Magnum Powers is based off the M90, but it's designed and built 100% by Charles (who owns the company). It's much more efficient than the Eaton M90, capable of MUCH higher boost, and that kit comes with a water to air intercooler, bigger injectors, etc.

The Boosted Tech kit can't even hold a torch to the Magnum Powers unit, neither can the Sprintex. They aren't even in the same league.

Golen is pushing those Magnum Powers superchargers at 20 psi and making monstrous power. That Boosted Tech M90 probably couldn't go past about 12 psi without decreasing in efficiency quite a bit (this is what Charles was talking to me about, and one of the reasons he designed his kit).

Reactions: Drippy and Alex0413
I run the Banks turbo with intercooler setup. It's a complete kit with everything you need and can be done by someone with moderate ability who can follow step-by-step directions. You will need to have a bung welded on the oil pan for an oil return line, so if you don't have a welder you can take the pan to a welder and have it done. Other than that, it's just basic hand tools and ability.

I never re-geared from the stock 4.10s so when I added 35"s my mileage took a hit. Adding the turbo actually improved it a bit since the engine wasn't struggling as much. Unless of course you're on the boost all the time.....
I don't know if you would see an improvement if you are correctly geared.

Banks claims an additional 111 rear wheel hp, and it's California C.A.R.B. approved if you live in CA.

Reactions: TJ Starting