Can I use 2 quarts instead of 2.1 quarts for NV3550 transmission fluid?

doktormane

TJ Enthusiast
Hi guys,

The NV3550 takes 2.1 quarts meaning that I would have to buy 3 quarts and that will leave 0.9 unused. Can I just put 2 quarts in it?

You could put 2 quarts in it, but I tend to overfill things, and the transmission would be one that I would overfill a bit (not much, but just enough).

You could put 2 quarts in it, but I tend to overfill things, and the transmission would be one that I would overfill a bit (not much, but just enough).
Then let me ask something else. What can I use the leftover tranny fluid for?

Cheers,
Dan

Then let me ask something else. What can I use the leftover tranny fluid for?

Cheers,
Dan

I've never used leftover transmission fluid for anything at all. I just put it in a plastic milk jug usually (with the oil) and let the recycling man take it when they pick up our recycling.

When you drain the old oil and put in the new oil, you may only need 2 quarts because there is always residual gear oil inside the transmission.

That said, give I change the gear oil every 40,000 miles or so, spending the extra money on that extra 0.1 quarts is worth it to me for peace of mind.

Reactions: Chris
Hi guys,

The NV3550 takes 2.1 quarts meaning that I would have to buy 3 quarts and that will leave 0.9 unused. Can I just put 2 quarts in it?
The fluid level is designed to lube the highest components. You leave it low, you leave some components unlubed....

Why not put 0.1 of the old fluid in.... just kidding

I take mine to the shop, they use a bulk 50gallon drum and just charge me for 2.1

Alright, looks like I'm buying 3 quarts then. Next fluid 9 fluid changes I will only need to buy 2 quarts :ROFLMAO:

Just put the remaining 3rd bottle on the shelf in case you need it later.

Just use two shot glasses from the old fluid, who cares?

I may need to re-think my measurement references.
Actually I think you qualified what .1 quart is very clearly.👍 The only problem is that the shot glass that the bartender gives me seems a lot less than the shot that he gives to that perky 25 year old blonde that ordered the same thing!🤔