Can I use a 2005 TJ gauge cluster on my 1997 TJ?

exmartinez

I seen the tread of swapping a engines on a tj .. my tj 2.5 blew up. I had a donor Jeep xj 97 I took the engine and tranny out of and out n mounting in my tj all that’s left to do is the wiring harness... is there a way I cn use the same cluster in my 05 tj and with the wiring harness from the 97xj or would I have to take the cluster out the xj and put it in my wrangler ? TIA

I'm very confused.

Are you saying you have a 2005 TJ with a 2.4 cylinder (the 2005 never had a 2.5, only a 2.4) and it blew up, so then you got a 1997 XJ donor vehicle with a 2.5 cylinder and swapped it in?

If so, you need the matching gauge cluster and wiring harness from that donor vehicle.

However, I'm not sure if that will work since the XJ gauge cluster is likely different enough from the TJ that it simply won't work.

I'm pretty sure on the 4.0L the temp gauge changed from a sender to a switch at some point...the 4 cylinder may have too. I'd check with the dealer for part number or call some gauge cluster rebuilders and ask that question.

Additionally, that's not a legal swap. If you have emissions testing in your area or you plan to ever sell it, it may become a problem. Swap like for like.