Can I use an AX15 transmission with a 4 cylinder?

Looking for experienced advice

Yes you can. There are 2 ways to do this.

1) Advanced Adapters sells a bellhousing kit for this swap.

2) Find a bellhousing from a Dodge Dakota V-6 94-99

You can find the bellhousing on Ebay sometimes or got to Car-Part.com they have been selling for about $100. And of course you need to find a AX-15. You'll also need to change your input gear on your transfer case to a 23 spline as yours with the AX-5 is a 21 spline. Or get a new transfer case with a 23 spline input.

BTW I have a 23 spline input gear sitting in my garage if you need one.

What year AX-15 ?
Early ones had the hydraulics inside the bellhousing and the later (>94) AX-15s had the slave cylinder attached to the outside of the bellhousing.
He has to change the 4.0 bellhousing to the AA or Dakota bellhousing so I don't think it matters.

Edit: Okay it does matter for the AA kit. https://www.advanceadapters.com/categories/adapter-kits/61/0/0/0/0/2/53/0/

But since you need a 94-99 bellhousing from a Dakota I'd say use a AX-15 from 94 or newer?

Reactions: Rubicon88
OK... Then it will be the newer hydraulic cylinder setup.

The cheaper option is to use the Dakota bellhousing but they are becoming harder to find. With the AA adapter you retain your 2.5 bellhousing and they give you an adapter plate that mounts to the front of the transmission.

Reactions: Blondie70

You can find the bellhousing on Ebay sometimes or got to Car-Part.com they have been selling for about $100. And of course you need to find a AX-15. You'll also need to change your input gear on your transfer case to a 23 spline as yours with the AX-5 is a 21 spline. Or get a new transfer case with a 23 spline input.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the advice man. Gonna look for that Dakota bell housing and find an ax1t and do the upgrade with a buddie

Thanks for the info, definitely going to up grade soon. I'd take you up on the offer but I'm in Texas brother

You need a newer AX15 that had has the external slave cylinder. The input gear isn't that big so is easy to ship.