Can loose jam nuts cause clunks?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Can loose jam nuts on adjustable control arms cause clunks when going over bumps in the road?

Hard to say but I wouldn't think Currie's arms would clunk just from a loose jam nut Chris unless they were unscrewed most of the way.

Hard to say but I wouldn't think Currie's arms would clunk just from a loose jam nut Chris unless they were unscrewed most of the way.

They aren't. I just developed a clunk when going over bumps and it's very obviously coming from the front of the vehicle. I had a few jam nuts a little loose but not much. I checked the track bar bolts and they are torqued to spec so now I'm trying to figure out where in the heck it could be coming from.

They aren't. I just developed a clunk when going over bumps and it's very obviously coming from the front of the vehicle. I had a few jam nuts a little loose but not much. I checked the track bar bolts and they are torqued to spec so now I'm trying to figure out where in the heck it could be coming from.
Loose control arm bolt is the place to start. After that, check all the snap rings and make sure none have popped out. Sometimes the assemblers get in a hurry and don't get them fully seated in the groove.

Loose control arm bolt is the place to start. After that, check all the snap rings and make sure none have popped out. Sometimes the assemblers get in a hurry and don't get them fully seated in the groove.

I'll check everything very throughly. I was pretty damn certain to torque the upper control arm bolts to 60 ft/lbs and the lowers to 90 ft/lbs. I'll go through and check thoroughly though to make sure all is in order.

Hmmm, I'm lost on this one. All snap rings are in place, all control arm and track bar bolts are torqued to the correct specs... Where in the hell is the damn clunking coming from... Sheesh!

I just did that as well and it stopped some clunking I was having… Dang. Let us know if you figure it out. Might try loosening all the bolts on the CA's and tightening them down to be sure they are neutral at ride height?

Last edited:
I just did that as well and it stopped some clunking I was having… Dang. Let us know if you figure it out. Might try loosening all the bolts on the CA's and retorting them down to be sure they are neutral at ride height?

Yep I'll let you know what it ends up being. It only happens over bumps and it's very obviously coming from the front.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
Yep I'll let you know what it ends up being. It only happens over bumps and it's very obviously coming from the front.
Chris get under there with the engine off. Have somebody turn that steering wheel from resistance to resistance while you put your hand on every thing under there. Bet you a dollar to a doughnut it's the trac bar. Many times these noise sources cannot been seen just felt!

I just did that as well and it stopped some clunking I was having… Dang. Let us know if you figure it out. Might try loosening all the bolts on the CA's and retorting them down to be sure they are neutral at ride height?
Not needed with JJ's, only with bonded bolt sleeve style bushings.

Not needed with JJ's, only with bonded bolt sleeve style bushings.

I'm glad you said that because I didn't know this was the case with the JJs, I'm very glad to hear that. One more thing I can rest easy knowing!

Chris get under there with the engine off. Have somebody turn that steering wheel from resistance to resistance while you put your hand on every thing under there. Bet you a dollar to a doughnut it's the trac bar. Many times these noise sources cannot been seen just felt!

I know, this was the case with my last suspension setup, the axle side track bar bolt wasn't torqued down enough. I'll have my wife do the steering test while I am under there to see if I can pick anything up.

Reactions: Stinger
I know this might sound crazy but, if you use shackles always installed on your bumper, they can clang , or your winch hook or connection just throwing it out there.

Yeah, I do have shackles, but this noise is a new one (aside from the shackles). Maybe I'll try removing them just to isolate it more.

Have you retorqued the track bar bolts? What about a loose sway bar link?

Track bar has been retorqued and checked. As for the sway bar links they are the Antirock links and they don't feel loose but I'll check them.

How can you tell if a heim joint is bad?

Track bar has been retorqued and checked. As for the sway bar links they are the Antirock links and they don't feel loose but I'll check them.

How can you tell if a heim joint is bad?
Can't hurt to check. It's a new lift, as things settle in, sometimes you realize you didn't quite torque something down enough.

I'll defer to someone else on the heim joint question. I don't have a great amount of experience with them.