Can someone tell me if this will work?

isu2815

I bought the pictured rims from a 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock owner and want to put Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 265/70R17 tires on them. I currently don't have a lift but am looking to get the OME Ultimate or Super Ultimate Lift Kit from DPG Offroad. I'll probably get the Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacer kit to be able to run those rims on the TJ. Thoughts? Will there be any rubbing? This is my first TJ and want to do it right the first time.

upload_2018-5-24_21-14-28.png

The math on that tire comes to 31.6 so that's not far off a stock Rubicon. The stock JK rims I believe have a larger backspaceing than the TJ rubi rims. You may want to push the spacers out a bit larger than 1.25 but it depends on what you are going for looks wise. Just remember those spacers will have to change bolt patterns as the JK is 5x5 and the TJ is 5x4.5. Any amount of lift should get you plenty of clearance vertically.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

I'm going for a slightly wider stance which is why I am leaning towards those tires vs the 255/75R17. I assume I'll end up having to get wider fender flares too. I have a suspension question as well that I forgot to mention...the guy who sold me the wheels said he would give me the stock suspension off his 2015 Jeep (shocks, springs, control arms, etc.) for free. Would that work on my TJ? That would save me some money I assume with lifting my Jeep.

I'm going for a slightly wider stance which is why I am leaning towards those tires vs the 255/75R17. I assume I'll end up having to get wider fender flares too. I have a suspension question as well that I forgot to mention...the guy who sold me the wheels said he would give me the stock suspension off his 2015 Jeep (shocks, springs, control arms, etc.) for free. Would that work on my TJ? That would save me some money I assume with lifting my Jeep.

I believe the 265/70-17 size tire equates more or less to the 265/75-16 size, which will work on a TJ with either a 2" budget boost or spring lift. Depending on the wheel backspacing, you may have some rubbing on the control arm at full steering lock.

As far as the suspension, here's more info on using JK suspension on a TJ:

https://wrangl/ertjforum.com/threads/jk-springs.10908/#post-171945

Bottom line - it won't do what the OME suspension will.

That is basically what I'm running, wheel and tire wise. You will rub. Try for 2" spacers, or plan on putting a couple washers in your steering stops. 3/4" spring spacers are plenty to get enough vertical clearance, as long as you don't disconnect.

That is basically what I'm running, wheel and tire wise. You will rub. Try for 2" spacers, or plan on putting a couple washers in your steering stops. 3/4" spring spacers are plenty to get enough vertical clearance, as long as you don't disconnect.

The OME lift should cover the vertical clearance, correct? Or were you referring to the JK suspension? So if I do the 2" spacers, I shouldn't get the rubbing on the control arm? I don't do much wheeling...I do drive on some trails in Joshua Tree but nothing too crazy. I may start going on some of the trails in the area but won't be climbing any big rocks or anything.

The OME lift should cover the vertical clearance, correct? Or were you referring to the JK suspension? So if I do the 2" spacers, I shouldn't get the rubbing on the control arm? I don't do much wheeling...I do drive on some trails in Joshua Tree but nothing too crazy. I may start going on some of the trails in the area but won't be climbing any big rocks or anything.
Yeah, the OME will be perfect. I'm running 1.25" wheel spacers, and I get a little bit of rubbing at full lock, more turning passenger side because the steering stops aren't equal. Anyway, if you can find 2" wheel adapters, you should be golden.

Scrub angle when turning and the life of the wheel bearings and ball joints. The further out you push the tires the shorter the life of those components, I suppose it may also affect tie rod end and drag link life but less so. There's always concern that 2 large of a spacer puts additional load on the wheel studs as well but I don't think that will be an issue with any reputable spacer manufacturer. Up to 2" seems to be quite common, larger ones exist but are not frequently used in the aftermarket. Dually pickups use a huge one in the front for instance but also have a wheel with massive backspaceing.

Keep in mind that those JK wheels are pulled in further than a TJ factory wheel to start with so I'd say you are probably safe with just about whatever floats your boat within reason.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.