Can Someone With The TRE Safety Thimble Fairlead Take Some Measurements For Me?

sab

"Semper Discens"
Lifetime Supporting Member
I've just started putting my front bumper/winch assembly together, and I'm trying to pick a fairlead. My new setup is a Savvy bumper with the winch guard, a Warn M8274 winch with synthetic line and a TRE safety thimble (not yet installed), and a Barnes 4x4 M8274 mount:

1634135958716.png

Right now, the front license plate is on a Fishbone flip-up mount, but the safety thimble won't fit behind it. I think I'm going to mount the plate directly to the front bumper below the winch mount, and I like the TRE safety thimble fairlead for it's ability to keep the thimble out of the way. However, there wasn't a lot of real estate for fitting everything on the bumper since I'm keeping the OEM anti-roll bar (it's not re-installed, yet), and the winch guard is right in the area where the thimble would end up when stored. Would one of you with the TRE safety thimble fairlead be so kind as to measure these dimensions for me so that I can see if it'll work:

1634136655360.png

W = vertical distance from the center of the mounting hole to the bottom
X = vertical distance from the center of the mounting hole to the top
Y = thickness of the main portion of the fairlead
Z = depth of the opening where the thimble sits when stored

I know that the winch guard is right where the thimble will sit, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to make it work by orienting the thimble so that the opening faces forward when it is stored.

Any help y'all can provide is appreciated. Also, I understand that Ricky Garza, the owner of TRE, is on here as @Garza. If you can help, Ricky, I'd be especially obliged! Also, if you do see this, any idea when the black anodized thimble fairlead will be back in stock? ;)

Thanks,
sab

I can check this evening when I get to the garage if no one else beats me to it...

@J R, I thought you might like to see what you're help allowed me to do. I wanted to make sure that the winch guard wouldn't get in the way of the thimble when it was docked. There's a small amount of interference, but a small patch of rubber glued to the guard should keep the two pieces in harmony:

Thimble Front.jpg

This side shot shows the issue better:

Thimble Clearance Side.jpg

Anyway, thanks ever so much for getting those measurements to me!

sab

Reactions: J R
Thanks, Jerry! I didn’t know Savvy made one, but I don’t see it on their web site. I did see that TRE made one, but it’s been out of stock for a long time. You can’t see it from the photos, but I just mounted my plate on the Savvy bumper below the fairlead. I think it’ll work, as long as I don’t get pulled over for an obstructed front plate due to it not being exactly vertical.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford