Can the stock spare tire carrier handle 31” tires?

PA Patriot

Hey folks!

Just ordered some 31 10.5 r 15 on steel Tactik 15x8 wheels. Looking forward to getting them on my TJ currently running 235 75r15

Question: will the spare carrier carry the load on the 31” OK or should I get a reinforcement kit or heavy duty tire carrier?

Wheel/tire combo will be about 80 lbs and with the 3” back spacing I anticipate I’ll need to extend the snubbers. Just wondering if I should reinforce the tailgate or get a new carrier

Thanks for your opinions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine had 31 inch spare on it for years prior to me buying it. (There was actually a birds nest in the tire cover. lol) And the stock bracket held fine.

The Rubicon comes stock with a 245/75R16, which is a 31" tire, and mounts onto the tailgate.
Your tailgate should handle the load no problem, as long as the spacing is correct.

I have 32x11.5x15 BFG KO2 tires on 15x8 rims with 4” BS. If the spare tire was any taller, I would have had to extend the height of the third brake light to clear it. So, as far as true tire height (32’s are typically 31.5” or so), you can get away with about 31.5” before you need to extend that brake light. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Last edited:
What IS the accepted weight that is ok to hang on the stock tail gate? Is a 100 lb. 31" safe? 150 lb.? What is the limit with those heavy hinge upgrade? If using the bumper mount are there any brand of bumpers you would avoid?

What IS the accepted weight that is ok to hang on the stock tail gate? Is a 100 lb. 31" safe? 150 lb.? What is the limit with those heavy hinge upgrade? If using the bumper mount are there any brand of bumpers you would avoid?
Stock 245/75R16 MT/R tire is 50 lbs. Stock Moab wheel is ~26 lbs. So the largest stock wheel and tire is 80 lbs or less.
Personally I would upgrade the hinges at 100 lbs and higher.

Hinge upgrade ratings would probably depend upon the manufacturer, but at a certain point the weak point becomes the body sheet metal. I personally wouldn’t put anything larger than a 33 on a reinforced tailgate.

Aftermarket tire carrier bumpers can support far more. RockHard claims theirs supports a 38”, 2 can mounts, a cargo rack, and a hi-lift at the same time.
Genright claims a 42” tire, but loses the ability to use a cargo rack and can mounts. Poison Spyder claims a 40” tire will fit.

Is there like a standard way to lengthen snubbers? Or just be as creative as possible? Mine all look like this and I'm wondering if I need to lengthen them despite it being a relatively small wheel/tire combo.

IMG_20190522_124155.jpg

I'm running the same size tires (235 75 r 15) as OP, also with the same Tactik D wheels, and I too plan to eventually upgrade to a bit bigger size - nothing bigger than what OP is upgrading to (absolute max of 31 10.5 r 15 ) - would I need to upgrade hinges potentially in addition to snubbers when I do this?

Even with smaller tires, you still want to have that contact between rubber and rubber? It looks like all that changed was my backspacing when I switched to the Tactik D's
You always want the snubbers contacting the tire, no matter the size of the spare. Without that, you have a weighted hunk hanging off the tailgate that can flex every time you go over a bump. Eventually, it will bend the sheet metal without that contact.

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
You always want the snubbers contacting the tire, no matter the size of the spare. Without that, you have a weighted hunk hanging off the tailgate that can flex every time you go over a bump. Eventually, it will bend the sheet metal without that contact.

Yeah completely missed this despite all the reading I've done. I mistakenly assumed they were placed there as needed only to accomodate larger tires and wheels. I'm not finding single solutions here...Is there a recommended method for extending them?

Yeah completely missed this despite all the reading I've done. I mistakenly assumed they were placed there as needed only to accomodate larger tires and wheels. I'm not finding single solutions here...Is there a recommended method for extending them?
I've seen everything from pvc pipe, to hockey pucks, to extra oem snubbers trimmed down. Your imagination is the limit, pretty much. I don't know if there is a 'recommended' best method.

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
I bought OEM bumpers online and cut/sanded them to make spacers. Glued them together and reinstalled with longer screws. Looks like they were always that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: John Scoggins
Not saying I would advise it and not endorsing this kind of nonsense. But if I tell someone I'll help them out I do my best.

Buddy in MD wanted some wheels/tires that were 60 miles below me in VA and he is 60 miles above me, that he'd found on Facebook for his p/u. Anyways short story he couldn't go and the guy said he was going out of town. OK whatever so he asked me if i mind and he would've done the same for me so I said sure. Kinda forgot other half had the pick-up for ball and all I had left to stuff anything in was the Jeep. No biggie, hop in went on my way. He told me a set of 35's on 20's but I guess it didn't really register. Grant it I'm only maybe 2 months old owning a jeep and only other 4wd I've owned was a small blazer many years ago in myrtle beach which I only used a couple times to get my dum azz out of the sand.

But I show up to pick up these tires and this guy has a full size Ram with the bed spilling over with these monsters compared to what I'm used to. 😲 He looks at me and says I think your gonna need a bigger Jeep or were throwing a couple on the roof. But after a couple quick looks and mental calculations I thought there just might be a chance. Once 1 went in flat I knew we were golden. And 3 rode flat stacked in back all the way home till I turned in driveway and the top one slide over. I'm not sure what they weigh but I can assure you there not light by no means.

Other I got to line up 1 stud on spare tire carrier and it sat nice and flat on pad crank a lug not on it, mad good contact on a couple bumpers iirc. put a ratchet strap through spokes and around carrier and it was good. Snug fit really didn't have a bunch of bounce which i was thinking because of weight. Rode good.

So I would say a 31x10.5x15 should be no problem at all for as long of a haul as you want. honestly I wouldn't be afraid of 32/33's possibly. Cause that 35 is on a 20" hunk of metal also. But as I said I wouldn't advise anyone to do it with a 35 but 32/33 I would say wouldn't have a problem. Again as everyone has said have good rubber too rubber contact with those bumpers, and all 3 lug nuts is strongly advisable.
IMG_9127 (2).JPG
IMG_9133 (2).JPG
IMG_9137 (2).JPG

I have a 33 KO hanging off the back of my stock holder. Stock hinges as well. I haven't had any issues and it shuts great. I don't open it all that much and in the locked position, I think it distributes the weight pretty well.