Can you fix a winch cable on the trail?

No.343

Supporting Member
I hardly use a winch, so I'm not going to spend the money for synthetic rope on my winches. But, I heard of a synthetic line snapping and the driver was able to repair somehow and use again on the same trip. That got me thinking. Can you fix a cable while out on the trail?

Get wire rope clips for your cable. Read and understand how to use them and how they effect the cable strength. Repairing wire rope is something done in the field all the time but like anything you need to understand what you are doing.
I will look into that. Thanks

Earlierr this year, I managed to snap a synthetic rope, make a quick repair, and then get myself unstuck.

That was the day I learned that my winch setup at the time was not fully suitable for synthetic, meaning it didn't need to happen. But, the fact that a repair was so incredibly easy should be reason enough to seriously consider synthetic.

Earlierr this year, I managed to snap a synthetic rope, make a quick repair, and then get myself unstuck.

That was the day I learned that my winch setup at the time was not fully suitable for synthetic, meaning it didn't need to happen. But, the fact that a repair was so incredibly easy should be reason enough to seriously consider synthetic.

That is a good point and if I ever need to replace the cable I would seriously consider it.

I don't know that I would try to fix a cable while on a trail. I never heard of anyone trying it, but it seems like the worst could happen and I'm curious.

That is a good point and if I ever need to replace the cable I would seriously consider it.

I don't know that I would try to fix a cable while on a trail. I never heard of anyone trying it, but it seems like the worst could happen and I'm curious.
Done it once and seen it a few times out on the trails. Like @pagrey said get the appropriate clips, know how to use them and understand that the trail fix is just that a fix to get you off the trail.

I snapped the cable on my Warn 8274-50 trying to winch a truck out of the snow, found the weakest point in the cable (a kink) and left me 50' shorter than I started, we reattached the hook using cable clamps and got him unstuck after a bunch more digging. Got home and ordered new cable.

Reactions: pagrey
Done it once and seen it a few times out on the trails. Like @pagrey said get the appropriate clips, know how to use them and understand that the trail fix is just that a fix to get you off the trail.

I snapped the cable on my Warn 8274-50 trying to winch a truck out of the snow, found the weakest point in the cable (a kink) and left me 50' shorter than I started, we reattached the hook using cable clamps and got him unstuck after a bunch more digging. Got home and ordered new cable.
That is the kind of situation I had in mind when I asked the question. Thanks

Reactions: reddvltj
I know a guy who's cable snapped on a very difficult trail and on a very precarious obstacle. He ended up using a special safety knot to get the separated pieces back together and to get off the obstacle and trail at least, scary as hell hearing him tell it. He's got it mounted on his wall now for decoration.

I know a guy who's cable snapped on a very difficult trail and on a very precarious obstacle. He ended up using a special safety knot to get the separated pieces back together and to get off the obstacle and trail at least, scary as hell hearing him tell it. He's got it mounted on his wall now for decoration.
I'm curious about the special safety knot.

I'm curious about the special safety knot.

Get wire rope clips for your cable. Read and understand how to use them and how they effect the cable strength. Repairing wire rope is something done in the field all the time but like anything you need to understand what you are doing.

The rule for cable clips is never saddle a dead horse. How is that possible with two live ends?

Reactions: chino1969
The rule for cable clips is never saddle a dead horse. How is that possible with two live ends?
Attach to the hook instead of the line.

And they are more like guidelines than actual rules.

And we are talking about a repair after a pretty catastrophic failure, last resort stuff which the operator should probably assume isn't going to work out perfectly.

Attach to the hook instead of the line.

And they are more like guidelines than actual rules.

And we are talking about a repair after a pretty catastrophic failure, last resort stuff which the operator should probably assume isn't going to work out perfectly.
Just curious since it isn't out of the realm of possibility to have a winch line break halfway out on a long pull where making a loop is going to leave you short of reaching the anchor. That and there is always the problem of winding up the clips onto the drum.

As for the rule versus guideline, I've not seen it as such, where are you finding it that way?

I will look into that. Thanks
Find a book or google "Hoisting & Rigging" the book I use was my Dads, it is 70 years old. Some things, like wire rope, never change. Loggers, fallers do it daily.

Remember the comments on HighLift Jacks?
Hoisting & Rigging done wrong is just as dangerous.

Last edited:
Find a book or google "Hoisting & Rigging" the book I use was my Dads, it is 70 years old. Some things, like wire rope, never change. Loggers, fallers do it daily.

Remember the comments on HighLift Jacks?
Hoisting & Rigging done wrong is just as dangerous.
Thanks. I haven't found the book, but did find an interesting PDF. I'm familiar with High Lift Jack's. The stupid hay trailer couldn't !ake a single round trip without getting a flat.

Just curious since it isn't out of the realm of possibility to have a winch line break halfway out on a long pull where making a loop is going to leave you short of reaching the anchor.

I carry an even number clips for this. Two clip minimum on each live end with 3/8 wire rope so that's four. I think I have six in my bag. It looks like those more expensive clips still require the same number and are the same strength but you don't have to remember the saddle rule which is a plus. Good reminder of all this stuff, haven't given it any thought since I tossed them in my bag years ago.

clip.jpg

This image is from the Crosby guide for these things which is probably all you need to know.
https://www.thecrosbygroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/56.pdf