Can you fix a winch cable on the trail?

The fist grips don’t pinch the rope so it’s more of a no brainer, it would take 4 for 3/8” rope over 12” of rope overlap about a fist apart.

The fist grips don’t pinch the rope so it’s more of a no brainer, it would take 4 for 3/8” rope over 12” of rope overlap about a fist apart.
The nice thing about synthetic is all I need is a Bic pen, some electrical tape and a sharp knife to splice it back together and the splice will readily feed right through the fairlead and onto the drum, so there is that.

Reactions: DrDmoney
The nice thing about synthetic is all I need is a Bic pen, some electrical tape and a sharp knife to splice it back together and the splice will readily feed right through the fairlead and onto the drum, so there is that.
I’m a synthetic rope guy myself, but at work (Union Ironworker) we have to use wire rope and no matter how many times you tell someone “you put your nuts on the saddle and you never saddle a dead horse” they still fuck it up, so I only use fist grips. Wire rope clips are used for all sorts of rigging and fall protection (guard/handrail), and they’re used in recovery, but they should never be used for hoisting.