Can you put a TJ soft top down without unzipping the rear window?

gg1

TJ Enthusiast
My rear window is shot and the zipper doesn't work. Waiting on a new top, but damn, I really want to put the top down. Can I just take it off and smash the back window down in its place? Thinking of doing it for the heck of it. lol I know this is a very odd question. Thanks.

Reactions: Starrs
My rear window is shot and the zipper doesn't work. Waiting on a new top, but damn, I really want to put the top down. Can I just take it off and smash the back window down in its place? Thinking of doing it for the heck of it. lol I know this is a very odd question. Thanks.
You can but your rear window will get creased to shit. If your getting a new top go for it!!

Reactions: gg1
@Starrs is right. I made a NooB mistake after I saw a Jeep driving around with the top folded back, so I thought it was ok.
I found out the hard way, it makes creases in the plastic.
I completely removed mine, where the metal rods connects to the roll cage. My soft top now occupies a parking spot in my garage :-/

I had a co-worker at work who folded hers back like that all the time without removing the rear window. She didn't care what it looked like when back up, though.

When you say the rear zipper doesn't work, does that mean you cannot remove the window at all, or the two zippers on the side just won't move at all...?

You can but your rear window will get creased to shit. If your getting a new top go for it!!

I was in a hurry to get to my music gig that is a little over an hour and a half drive up into the beautiful mountains and it was damn nice today. I just said wtf and unzipped the sides that aren't in very good shape either and just dropped it with the rear window in place. It is toast anyway. It was my first drive with the top down and it was awesome. I LOVED IT!!! The stereo that I fixed up also sounded great. What a blast.

Thanks for the reply. I knew it was one of those things that if I get a reply it would probably be too late and then I was just thinking, who cares, I want a ride with the damn top down and will just deal with whatever happens. I did get the top back on. The side zippers are a bitch to say the least, but it finally went on. I would do it again, since I don't think it will get harder. WD40 was needed for sure and I probably need to break out some oil because the top doesn't matter at this point. The side is taped up. lol

Reactions: Starrs