Can you use clock spring for non-cruise control on a cruise control model on 2001 TJ?

rebelles

TJ Enthusiast
I am working on a 2001 TJ, 6 cyl WITH cruise control that I picked up to tinker with. It has what I believe to be a clock spring issue (airbag light on, horn not working, check engine light on for TPS). I have searched around and found that the Mopar clock springs are discontinued for this model. There is also no aftermarket clock springs that I have found available for the 2001 with cruise control. I have seen several available for the 2001’s without cruise control. I won’t really need cruise control. Has anyone installed a clock spring that was intended to be used without cruise control (it will have two pigtails instead of three) on a TJ with cruise control? And if so, was it successful in operating as intended except for the cruise? I have googled some on this and seen hints where it sounds like someone has tried it but I’m not certain the results.

Do you know what will happen if I try the clock spring without the cruise pigtail (and just hook up the air bag and horn? I’m ok with not having the cruise control function if that’s all that happens (and everything else does work).

No,but I used an xj one on my 2002 sport when I installed my cruise control.you just have to open the center a little bit with a Dremel and they are everywhere in the junkyard
That’s good to know! I’d always wondered if the XJ ones work.

So any thoughts on what may happen should I hook up the non cruise control clock spring in my cruise control column (assuming two pig tails match up which they look like they will)

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re trying to do. Are you saying a 2001 tj non cruise clockspring won’t fit your 2001 tj? Or is this a clockspring for a different model?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re trying to do. Are you saying a 2001 tj non cruise clockspring won’t fit your 2001 tj? Or is this a clockspring for a different model?
I purchased a clock spring for the same year model but for one without cruise. The inside diameter of the hole was smaller than the diameter of the clock spring that is currently on the Jeep and would not go over the steering shaft completely

I purchased a clock spring for the same year model but for one without cruise. The inside diameter of the hole was smaller than the diameter of the clock spring that is currently on the Jeep and would not go over the steering shaft completely
Is it possible to carefully shave the inside diameter with a round file until the hole is large enough to fit over the steering shaft ?

It’s possible I’m sure but I ended up taking it back to regroup. The clock spring that is on the Jeep is an aftermarket one already. I decided to try my luck with a used factory one that should be in in a few days. I also had the parts store order a 2000 model clock spring so I could compare the diameter of the center hole just out of curiosity (and look at the pig tails for comparison).

I have checked around and the OEM Mopar Clock Spring PN 56047105 AA,AB,AC fits 97-02 with Cruise; I believe the electrical connectors changed in '03.
The 97-02 OEM Mopar PN 56047103AA non Cruise clock spring center section is too small as you stated....

I have checked around and the OEM Mopar Clock Spring PN 56047105 AA,AB,AC fits 97-02 with Cruise; I believe the electrical connectors changed in '03.
The 97-02 OEM Mopar PN 56047103AA non Cruise clock spring center section is too small as you stated....
Yes and the Mopar parts for with and without cruise you note have now been discontinued. And there are none of the ones for cruise available through the dealer network and I didn’t find anything through the Mopar parts websites. Also, from what I researched, there is some sort of difference between the 97-00 and the 01-02 models.

Yes and the Mopar parts for with and without cruise you note have now been discontinued. And there are none of the ones for cruise available through the dealer network and I didn’t find anything through the Mopar parts websites. Also, from what I researched, there is some sort of difference between the 97-00 and the 01-02 models.
Are you sure the difference you are referencing is not just an update or revision instead of a different application?

I’m sure the Mopar parts are discontinued. I verified that through two dealers abs countless Mopar parts websites. From that research as well as the info provided by the used part’s dealer I got a take off clock spring from, there is a difference between the 01-02’s and the years before and after. The ad specifically referenced a hole size difference.

I’m sure the Mopar parts are discontinued. I verified that through two dealers abs countless Mopar parts websites. From that research as well as the info provided by the used part’s dealer I got a take off clock spring from, there is a difference between the 01-02’s and the years before and after. The ad specifically referenced a hole size difference.
Hey there! How did you make out with this? I'm in the same boat - I have a 2002 Sahara with cruise control. It has proven incredibly hard to find the correct clock spring for an '02 with cruise control. As you mentioned above, none of the usual "go to" Jeep sites have anything.