Canadian Brethren?

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
Any of ya'll northerners have any ideas what is going on with USPS shipments across the border? We opted to suspend sales across the border this morning due to the last 5 shipments getting completely screwed up. They range from the tracking showing delivered and no package to be found to just taking way too long to get to the customer. One in particular the tracking showed it just sitting in the local Post Office not moving and of course the customer is trying to get me to replace the order. I asked what I could do differently to ensure that his order didn't wind up in the same black hole. He didn't have a good answer and neither do we. It finally started moving and got delivered but it is taking far longer than usual.

Shipping related on the US side, UPS has had more screw-ups and lost packages in the last 3 months than they have in the last 10 years. WTF?

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
Shipping related on the US side, UPS has had more screw-ups and lost packages in the last 3 months than they have in the last 10 years. WTF?

I've been seeing a lot of this across all spectrums. No one cares anymore, the current extinction level event :rolleyes: has gifted so many people with an excuse to channel their inner lazy fuck to the extent they're no longer doing their jobs.

I've been seeing a lot of this across all spectrums. No one cares anymore, the current extinction level event :rolleyes: has gifted so many people with an excuse to channel their inner lazy fuck to the extent they're no longer doing their jobs.
This one today was the final straw. Our tracking shows it delivered. Customer wants to know who delivered it and why they don't have it? I'm very sorry but you have the same info we do. I don't know what happens once it gets across the border or what they even call the Canadian postal service, therefore I do not have any way of knowing exactly who delivered your package. All I know and can find out is that it shows delivered.

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
There is definitely something going on with USPS. I have an order for new battery cables that shipped on June 25th and has been stuck with this status.

I have ordered a some other items from the US and had no problem with DHL, Purolator and Global Express.

VANCOUVER, CANADA
Your item departed a transfer airport in METROPOLITAN AREA, VANCOUVER, CANADA on June 29, 2020 at 8:02 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

I had a replacement order sent this is the status for the last 2 days. Fingers crossed.

Processed Through Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Your item was processed through our LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER facility on July 19, 2020 at 11:12 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

I don't know what happens once it gets across the border or what they even call the Canadian postal service, therefore I do not have any way of knowing exactly who delivered your package. All I know and can find out is that it shows delivered.

We have Canada Post for our national service. Pretty sure USPS hands it off the Canada Post for delivery inside of Canada.

Reactions: reddvltj
Shipping has just been a mess since April - surprisingly UPS got my stuff from you at BMB 2 days earlier than it estimated (and USPS fell behind by at least a day since I am an idiot and did 2 orders since I wasn't sure I wanted to replace my calipers yet).

Oh, and this is just in the states. CA -> CO

I am currently tracking an order I placed. it was sent through USPS on the 13th, and it cleared customs yesterday.

Regarding packages listed as delivered, but never actually delivered, I've seen a trend of that with 3rd party delivery services. Basically USPS, UPS, FedEx, or whoever hires a contractor to deliver packages for them. These contractors are probably paid based on how much of their cargo they deliver in a day. If they are running behind, they just mark it as a delivery or attempted delivery and drop it back at the local distribution facility. This leads to a lot more packages in limbo since there is no follow-up from the contractor like there would be with a regular delivery.

Reactions: Tomcat and rasband
Had some CR123 batteries delivered from Amazon on Sunday via USPS. Showed "Your package was delivered. It was handed directly to a resident. 2:41pm" Ahhhh no. Checked my cameras to see if it was handed to a neighbor, nope as well. Checked my mailbox and there it was. Didn't know Amazon deliveries by USPS were put in the mailbox on a Sunday. But I do now.

Reactions: reddvltj

Why would they do their jobs when they're giving them $600 extra in unemployment? 🤦‍♂️

No wonder people don't want to go back to work.

I blame Canada Post. They've been HORRIBLE since this Covid shit started. I've been waiting on a package from Amazon that should have been here on the 13th, but it hasn't progressed out of the main hub in the city. Most things have taken at least 4x longer to arrive via Canada Post than they should have.

Why would they do their jobs when they're giving them $600 extra in unemployment? 🤦‍♂️

No wonder people don't want to go back to work.

Yeah, unfortunately it's simple math. I remember doing pickup during the height of the shutdown - and while I would expect people to be happy to have jobs, they clearly were not and half assed it.

Yeah, unfortunately it's simple math. I remember doing pickup during the height of the shutdown - and while I would expect people to be happy to have jobs, they clearly were not and half assed it.

That's what we're running into. People should be happy to have jobs, but a lot of them are happier being unemployed and getting what they perceive as "free" money.

They need to cut that shit out ASAP if you ask me, because otherwise people are going to start becoming entitled (as if they aren't already) and doing anything they can to avoid going back to work.

That's what we're running into. People should be happy to have jobs, but a lot of them are happier being unemployed and getting what they perceive as "free" money.

They need to cut that shit out ASAP if you ask me, because otherwise people are going to start becoming entitled (as if they aren't already) and doing anything they can to avoid going back to work.

This from a former Liberal Canadian Cabinet minister and civil servant ...

• Face Palm
Reactions: Chris
I've had multiple packages sit at my local USPS office for days before delivery recently, SurePost has been even worse. I think the USPS has some training/management issues along with high turnover that is leading to poor service. My experience had nothing to do with Canada. Workers probably aren't the problem, systemic issues are normally top down.

I've had multiple packages sit at my local USPS office for days before delivery recently, SurePost has been even worse. I think the USPS has some training/management issues along with high turnover that is leading to poor service. My experience had nothing to do with Canada. Workers probably aren't the problem, systemic issues are normally top down.
Our tracking shows them getting through customs in a reasonable amount of time. Then they drop into some black hole of inactivity that irritates and scares everyone.

Had some stuff coming from Europe recently. Blazed through 2 countries within 3 days and was able to track it. Then it arrived and sat in a Chicago sorting facility for almost 3 weeks and fell off the radar. When it started moving again I was able to track it once more.

I can't speak to the Canada issue, but within the U.S. my experience runs counter to most of the others in this thread. In the last two weeks I have ordered three items from three different vendors. Here's the rundown:

UPS Ground: Tracking showed pickup from the vendor the morning after I placed the order. It then sat in the Nashville UPS facility for four days until it magically showed up on my doorstep a day early. It still showed the package sitting in Nashville as I held the box in my hands.

FedEx Ground: California to New Mexico in two days, arrived one day early.

USPS Ground: Shipped from New York to New Mexico, scheduled for Monday delivery (tomorrow), arrived yesterday.

I guess they were holding everybody else's stuff so mine could get through faster...

Reactions: randy328 and pagrey
I am currently tracking an order I placed. it was sent through USPS on the 13th, and it cleared customs yesterday.

Regarding packages listed as delivered, but never actually delivered, I've seen a trend of that with 3rd party delivery services. Basically USPS, UPS, FedEx, or whoever hires a contractor to deliver packages for them. These contractors are probably paid based on how much of their cargo they deliver in a day. If they are running behind, they just mark it as a delivery or attempted delivery and drop it back at the local distribution facility. This leads to a lot more packages in limbo since there is no follow-up from the contractor like there would be with a regular delivery.
I am one of those 3rd party contractors that delivers packages for UPS and FedEx while fulfilling my USPS contract. UPS and FedEx drop off packages at my home and scan them as delivered, I sign for them and hand them one part of a triplicate receipt. When I deliver the packages for UPS and FedEx I have the customer sign the remaining 2 copies which they get one of. I'm not sure if that is a normal procedure for other contractors or not but it seems UPS and FedEx alike would have some form of assurance method to insure delivery.

My best suggestion to you and anyone else that receives their UPS and FedEx packages via 3rd party carrier, would be to contact your closest UPS or FedEx delivery hub or their distribution hub and and follow the trail to the last of their carriers that scanned the package. They should know how to contact the 3rd party carrier, if you don't already know who that is personally.