Canadian Gas Cost

But then you also pay higher taxes (to cover the healthcare), so you would essentially take home less, no?
lol thats the US spin but no. Being regulated even our costs are 10% of what yours are.

I had a heart attack 10 years ago. Amulance for 200 miles. A week in hospital while they made a plan, air ambulance for 500 miles. Operation, installing 2 stints, discharge.

Once all is done you get a record of the whole bill. All in, $9800.00. That is what Universal Health Care and government regulated medical services without privatization can do. You guys are being raped. You should travel. Europe blows us away. Sure, we pay higher taxes but no one in Canada commits suicide over a hospital bill.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
I believe the highest cost for regular 87 octane fuel in Canada right now is $1.70/litre.
One CDN dollar equals $.74 USD.
There are 3.78 litres per US gallon.
$1.70 x 3.78 x .74 = $4.75 US per gallon
Here in southern Alberta current gas price is $1.18/litre or $3.30 US per gallon.
I just did a random search of current fuel prices in Utah and it is $2.87/gallon.

Don’t get me wrong, we’re still getting screwed but it’s not as bad as it sounds to you guys south of the border

Last edited:
So none of you Canadian's have answered me.

Do you guys just get paid a lot more money on average or something? Is that how you're able to afford these insane fuel prices?

Minimum wage varies province to province. I'm going to speak for Ontario. Minimum wage here is $14. Although in some provinces its less. So if you work a 40 hour week you make 2240 a month. Let's ignore the tax for right now cause I don't feel like calculating it. Let's say you see 2000 of that. The average Jeep TJ tank is 72 litres (If google can be trusted). The average MPG is 15, which is 18.8 liters per 100km. Which is 0.188 liters per kilometer. My drive to work is 24 kilometers one way. So 48 kilometers a day (most people drive 48 kilometers one way). So I use 9 liters of gas per day, which means I use 45 liters per 5 day work week just getting to work and back. Let's say for the sake of the math that every 10 days of driving to work I have to fill the tank (trust me I'm filling up once a week). Gas at the price it is right now, $1.30 per liter, it costs me $93.6 dollars to fill up with gas. Which means I spend $187.2 dollars a month on gas just getting to work and back. Now, I know I fill up way more than once every 2 weeks (I just checked and I've already spent $194.7 on gas in April already). So yeah. That's the breakdown for someone making minimum wage in Canada and driving a Jeep to work every day. If you include rent, average 1k for an apartment, food (google says to average $214 per month per person), car insurance (I pay $98 a month for just the most basic insurance), phone bill ($80 a month), utilities ($225 a month when I was living with 4 roomates), internet (good internet is at least $100 here). Don't know what else I'm forgetting. But yeah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Minimum wage varies province to province. I'm going to speak for Ontario. Minimum wage here is $14. Although in some provinces its less. So if you work a 40 hour week you make 2240 a month. Let's ignore the tax for right now cause I don't feel like calculating it. Let's say you see 2000 of that. The average Jeep TJ tank is 72 litres (If google can be trusted). The average MPG is 15, which is 18.8 liters per 100km. Which is 0.188 liters per kilometer. My drive to work is 24 kilometers one way. So 48 kilometers a day (most people drive 48 kilometers one way). So I use 9 liters of gas per day, which means I use 45 liters per 5 day work week just getting to work and back. Let's say for the sake of the math that every 10 days of driving to work I have to fill the tank (trust me I'm filling up once a week). Gas at the price it is right now, $1.30 per liter, it costs me $93.6 dollars to fill up with gas. Which means I spend $187.2 dollars a month on gas just getting to work and back. Now, I know I fill up way more than once every 2 weeks (I just checked and I've already spent $194.7 on gas in April already). So yeah. That's the breakdown for someone making minimum wage in Canada and driving a Jeep to work every day. If you include rent, average 1k for an apartment, food (google says to average $214 per month per person), car insurance (I pay $98 a month for just the most basic insurance), phone bill ($80 a month), utilities ($225 a month when I was living with 4 roomates), internet (good internet is at least $100 here). Don't know what else I'm forgetting. But yeah.
that is why you need a vespa with studded tires and an arctic heater...

Canada is quickly moving away from the tax and spend left. Another Provincial left leaning government fell last night which makes it 2 in one week (Prince Edward Island & Alberta). The Federal Conservatives along with Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and New Brunswick all oppose the governing Liberals carbon tax which as is will increase annually. The Trudeau Liberals are trailing and will likely fall to the Conservatives in October. This won't lower the price of gas to where we would like to see it but it will help.

Do you guys just get paid a lot more money on average or something? Is that how you're able to afford these insane fuel prices?

"On paper" it might look like Canadians are paid more but there are a lot of factors (exchange rate, cost of living, etc.) that would suggest we don't or are more or less even. One way of looking at it is to compare our tax freedom dates. It varies from Province to Province and no doubt from State to State but in 2018, the date for Canada was June 10. In other words, on June 11 we started to keep the money we earned. In the USA I believe that date was April 19.

I believe that the Canadians have a stanadrd of living that they are willing to accept, just like we do, if we didnt, we would elect someone else who can provide that standard, which is what we are seeing happen in Canada.

Canada is quickly moving away from the tax and spend left. Another Provincial left leaning government fell last night which makes it 2 in one week (Prince Edward Island & Alberta). The Federal Conservatives along with Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and New Brunswick all oppose the governing Liberals carbon tax which as is will increase annually. The Trudeau Liberals are trailing and will likely fall to the Conservatives in October. This won't lower the price of gas to where we would like to see it but it will help.
Federal election - October 21st.
Hoping that the citizens choose to 'flush the toilet' on Turd-o and his inept cabinet.
Would be interesting if Alberta stops 'transfer payments' . . . . .

Federal election - October 21st.
Hoping that the citizens choose to 'flush the toilet' on Turd-o and his inept cabinet.
Would be interesting if Alberta stops 'transfer payments' . . . . .

It's going to be one to watch, that's for sure.

The minimum hourly wage where i am is 15$ per hour.But i think the answer is that some products, like gas and food have what is called an" inelastic demand." What economists mean is that people will bitch but still pay as prices rise. Folks save by not buying products with elastic demand, such as cable, the movie out etc. So I still drive my jeep by cutting corners elsewhere.

Reactions: Head Lice
The minimum hourly wage where i am is 15$ per hour.But i think the answer is that some products, like gas and food have what is called an" inelastic demand." What economists mean is that people will bitch but still pay as prices rise. Folks save by not buying products with elastic demand, such as cable, the movie out etc. So I still drive my jeep by cutting corners elsewhere.

Good point. That makes a lot of sense actually.

When gas prices get crazy here, we stop doing things like vacation, Starbucks (the wife), and other things we don't actually need.

Reactions: johnny deeker
On Saturday, gas was at 4.99 a gallon for 91 octane in Novato, CA. Crazy if you ask me, seriously considering buying used hybrid/ civic or even a small sportbike just to commute.

On Saturday, gas was at 4.99 a gallon for 91 octane in Novato, CA. Crazy if you ask me, seriously considering buying used hybrid/ civic or even a small sportbike just to commute.

Vancouver, BC
Chevron 94 Octane . . . $2.009 per liter
3.7854 liters = 1 US gallon
equivalent . . . $7.57 per US gallon.
Ahhhhh . . . . how far ya' drivin' ?