Canary Bird Hoosier

canary bird

Hello and thanks for your very informative & helpful TJ community! I am from a small Amish mennonite town in Indiana, but have taken regular deployments overseas with a non-profit organization for the last 20 years and have been stationed in the Canary Islands near North Africa. The Canary Islands are full of old Land Cruisers, Land Rovers and mini-4X4s off all kinds ... Daihatsu, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, etc. ... but VERY few Jeeps. I drive a 4motion VW camper van in the Islands. On my last furlough back in Indiana, we bought a residential lot with a small barn, so I can now get a Jeep for the winter & summer and very light off roading when back in the States. I have a degree in Wildlife Science and Forestry and worked as a forester in the States for awhile and drove Jeeps for work. The TJ is the clear fit for me, so it is now the search for the holy grail - clean, low rust, well maintained TJ. Below is a photo of us in our pine forests at higher elevation in the Islands.

GOPR6631 (1).jpg

Reactions: Chris
Awesome story, and welcome to the forum!

Finding a clean, rust free TJ is easiest when you start to look on the west coast states, southwest, and Alabama, Florida, and a few other states. Basically states where they do not salt the roads. In my opinion, it's worth flying out and driving one back, or paying to have it shipped. You do not want to end up with one with a rusty undercarriage, as that will be nothing but a project.

Welcome to the forum.... Ive been down the road of a rusty frame you don't want that.
Good luck in your search...you know because of your trips to the Islands you have to buy a 'Canary' yellow one hehe

Reactions: Chris
Awesome story, and welcome to the forum!

Finding a clean, rust free TJ is easiest when you start to look on the west coast states, southwest, and Alabama, Florida, and a few other states. Basically states where they do not salt the roads. In my opinion, it's worth flying out and driving one back, or paying to have it shipped. You do not want to end up with one with a rusty undercarriage, as that will be nothing but a project.
Agreed! I am probably going to limit my search to dealers in the West & South as I have an Indiana dealer friend who will help out with logistics & paperwork to ship & store it until I get back for the title & registration.

Welcome to the forum.... Ive been down the road of a rusty frame you don't want that.
Good luck in your search...you know because of your trips to the Islands you have to buy a 'Canary' yellow one hehe
I have driven all yellow vehicles overseas for the last 10 years (a free color for VW campervans) and it is easy to find in parking lots. :)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Agreed! I am probably going to limit my search to dealers in the West & South as I have an Indiana dealer friend who will help out with logistics & paperwork to ship & store it until I get back for the title & registration.

Smart man (y)

You'll have a much easier time finding a rust free example in those areas.