Can't buy help to remove a body lift

jrmcafee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
First, let me say I think with enough time and patience I could remove the 3" body lift on my 1998 SE on my own. I have NEITHER the time, nor the patience (and I have two jobs and 3 kids under 10) so I need to find someone who can remove this in exchange for a portion of my bank account.

My problem is that the only shop I have found in my area who will remove a body lift is an off-road shop who wants to charge $900 for the service. Their explanation is murky at best as to why the work costs that much. In watching shade-tree YouTube videos, the job without a lift seems tedious but not difficult, certainly straightforward with a lift.

My normal mechanic is apprehensive about taking on the job because they're afraid additional suspension work will need to be done to accommodate the reduction in height.

So here's my question: I have a 4" suspension lift and Skyjacker Hydro 7000's on the Jeep currently. I've purchased the stock-length bolts from JeepBolts.com. As far as I can tell, no modifications have been made to the steering knuckle or the transfer case linkage, which seem to be the primary concerns. I know the fuel filling neck will likely need to be shortened but that's not a big concern.

Are my mechanic's concerns warranted? How can I put them at ease about removing the body lift blocks? Or should I just be prepared to pay nearly a thousand dollars to remove 11 pieces of hard rubber?

If the body bolts don't break ie:rusty this is a pretty simple job..have you considered asking someone from a local jeep club? $$900 dollars is insane

If the body bolts don't break ie:rusty this is a pretty simple job..have you considered asking someone from a local jeep club? $$900 dollars is insane
Glad to hear that validated. My typical shop first quoted 2 hours of labor on the rack and $200, but they don't do this every day so they're worried about taking on the job. I'm ok with it being higher than $200 but $900 seemed pretty proud.

EDIT: This Jeep has been in West Tennessee/North Mississippi its entire life, so my hope is that we're not dealing with bad rust or seizure. The heads look to be in good shape on inspection.

Reactions: P man
Glad to hear that validated. My typical shop first quoted 2 hours of labor on the rack and $200, but they don't do this every day so they're worried about taking on the job. I'm ok with it being higher than $200 but $900 seemed pretty proud.

EDIT: This Jeep has been in West Tennessee/North Mississippi its entire life, so my hope is that we're not dealing with bad rust or seizure. The heads look to be in good shape on inspection.

It's just not that big of a deal..my guess is these shops just don't want the job and want you to go away..the fan shroud drop is usually reversible without a hassle and the filler neck hose may or may not need be altered. I cant imagine the transfer case shifter being more than a bolt on bracket that can be unbolted. If you are worried about it post a couple pics and we can tell you what to expect

Reactions: jrmcafee
First, let me say I think with enough time and patience I could remove the 3" body lift on my 1998 SE on my own. I have NEITHER the time, nor the patience (and I have two jobs and 3 kids under 10) so I need to find someone who can remove this in exchange for a portion of my bank account.

My problem is that the only shop I have found in my area who will remove a body lift is an off-road shop who wants to charge $900 for the service. Their explanation is murky at best as to why the work costs that much. In watching shade-tree YouTube videos, the job without a lift seems tedious but not difficult, certainly straightforward with a lift.

My normal mechanic is apprehensive about taking on the job because they're afraid additional suspension work will need to be done to accommodate the reduction in height.

So here's my question: I have a 4" suspension lift and Skyjacker Hydro 7000's on the Jeep currently. I've purchased the stock-length bolts from JeepBolts.com. As far as I can tell, no modifications have been made to the steering knuckle or the transfer case linkage, which seem to be the primary concerns. I know the fuel filling neck will likely need to be shortened but that's not a big concern.

Are my mechanic's concerns warranted? How can I put them at ease about removing the body lift blocks? Or should I just be prepared to pay nearly a thousand dollars to remove 11 pieces of hard rubber?
$900 is crazy. I'd post this in the Regional Forum and use the Tennessee prefix and you might find some members from this site that are close by and willing to help out.

Things I can think of that might need altering when removing the body lift

Check for a dropped Pitman Arm, you’ll need a stock one
Fan shroud relocated
Fuel filler tube shortened
TCase linkage fixed
Transmission shifter may have been modified

How about posting in the regional forum here? Maybe a member would help and im sure it would be reasonable not $900..thats highway robbery

I own a shop and allow me a chance to shed some light on this.

#1 I can say 900 seems a tad on the high side but I've no idea what that shop's labor rate is....

#2 they probably quoted this job as a number rather than via book rate of hours.

#3 why...way too many intangibles can arise on a job like that. (The biggest reason I hate body lifts) there are far too many "what if's" in that particular job to try and quote accurately.

#4 body lifts suck putting on and taking off is even worse. Much worse going into it blind of mods and condition.
You can tell a shop "you don't think this or that was done" and guess what...doesn't mean shit.
If I had a nickel for every time a customer said "it only needs" yet in reality it needs a lot more.... or needs something completely different....I'd be retired now.

#5 ....the MOST important one.......

the shop has to protect itself. What if everything is going smoothly and then half way through all hell begins. As in the captured nut/tab that's welded breaks free from the body? Now it just spins as one unit. Now surgery must be performed. Cut the body/floor to get in there and hold the nut/tab to remove the bolt.
That's just one bolt. You've got several body mounts.
Think about that. What if that happened to all of them?
Add in whatever else they might find that was extended that needs brought back to stock distance...
You can say it won't happen to any of them or needs nothing retracted but they don't know that.

this is a zero win job.....
TOO MANY POSSIBLE INTANGIBLES!!!

If they quote you low...then run into problems now they've got to bump you. (You'll rip their reputation to shreds for bumping you)
If they quote you high to protect themselves you'll rip their reputation to shreds by quoting too high (like you're doing right now)
If they run into bolt removal issues and have to cut into your beloved machine...I've no doubt you'll kill their rep and tell every available ear how xyz shop hacked up your Jeep...

If issues arise now they've got the dilemma of explaining to you the problems...they're half way done but now issues show up...do they reinstall the body lift...keep going...etc.?
All the while a bay is tied up with a job that ultimately is a loser....

Maybe that will help you understand coming from the perspective of a shop owner on this particular job.

Good luck

I own a shop and allow me a chance to shed some light on this.

#1 I can say 900 seems a tad on the high side but I've no idea what that shop's labor rate is....

#2 they probably quoted this job as a number rather than via book rate of hours.

#3 why...way too many intangibles can arise on a job like that. (The biggest reason I hate body lifts) there are far too many "what if's" in that particular job to try and quote accurately.

#4 body lifts suck putting on and taking off is even worse. Much worse going into it blind of mods and condition.
You can tell a shop "you don't think this or that was done" and guess what...doesn't mean shit.
If I had a nickel for every time a customer said "it only needs" yet in reality it needs a lot more.... or needs something completely different....I'd be retired now.

#5 ....the MOST important one.......

the shop has to protect itself. What if everything is going smoothly and then half way through all hell begins. As in the captured nut/tab that's welded breaks free from the body? Now it just spins as one unit. Now surgery must be performed. Cut the body/floor to get in there and hold the nut/tab to remove the bolt.
That's just one bolt. You've got several body mounts.
Think about that. What if that happened to all of them?
Add in whatever else they might find that was extended that needs brought back to stock distance...
You can say it won't happen to any of them or needs nothing retracted but they don't know that.

this is a zero win job.....
TOO MANY POSSIBLE INTANGIBLES!!!

If they quote you low...then run into problems now they've got to bump you. (You'll rip their reputation to shreds for bumping you)
If they quote you high to protect themselves you'll rip their reputation to shreds by quoting too high (like you're doing right now)
If they run into bolt removal issues and have to cut into your beloved machine...I've no doubt you'll kill their rep and tell every available ear how xyz shop hacked up your Jeep...

If issues arise now they've got the dilemma of explaining to you the problems...they're half way done but now issues show up...do they reinstall the body lift...keep going...etc.?
All the while a bay is tied up with a job that ultimately is a loser....

Maybe that will help you understand coming from the perspective of a shop owner on this particular job.

Good luck
I agree with most of what you are saying and as I stated earlier the shop quoting $900 is not wanting to do the work for the reasons you mentioned. I also feel location plays an important role you being in rust country must consider factors I will never face ie: rust. I have removed many body lifts and if they take me over a couple hours its because I'm taking breaks in between etc. In the end it just doesn't make sense for anyone involved to have a shop do this job because realistically most shops don't want this kind of work and if they do accept the job they are going to cover their asses for the reasons you stated.

Reactions: Weasellee
I started typing some things to think about, luckily I didn't get too far when Rubicon88 posted.

I don't have or work at a shop but I'm sure he has hit several nails right on their heads. I also think that the "you" he's referring to is the plural version regarding any potential customer with a job like that.

I agree with most of what you are saying and as I stated earlier the shop quoting $900 is not wanting to do the work for the reasons you mentioned. I also feel location plays an important role you being in rust country must consider factors I will never face ie: rust. I have removed many body lifts and if they take me over a couple hours its because I'm taking breaks in between etc. In the end it just doesn't make sense for anyone involved to have a shop do this job because realistically most shops don't want this kind of work and if they do accept the job they are going to cover their asses for the reasons you stated.
You just have to be extra careful today. Everyone has a device and of course that makes them an expert. Moreover they lllooovvveee jumping on the inTRAnet to opine about things...and good lord if they think they've been wronged....look out.

I don't know about where you are but here Jeep's have a way of migrating up and down the east coast. With the inTRAnet now more than ever people can find "that one" vehicle they really want 3 states up or down and will fetch it...ship it...whatever.

It's just a zero win job for a shop.

Reactions: pc1p and P man
You just have to be extra careful today. Everyone has a device and of course that makes them an expert. Moreover they lllooovvveee jumping on the inTRAnet to opine about things...and good lord if they think they've been wronged....look out.

I don't know about where you are but here Jeep's have a way of migrating up and down the east coast. With the inTRAnet now more than ever people can find "that one" vehicle they really want 3 states up or down and will fetch it...ship it...whatever.

It's just a zero win job for a shop.
I'm in Washington State where the inside of our frames are still mostly covered in black paint lol...I have a friend in Mass that likes to send me pics of the jeeps he parts out and there's no way I would even touch most of them.

These are all exceptionally good posts.

Remember money can’t buy you happiness but It can buy buy you a TJ Wrangler...And you can take the top off and put it in four-wheel-drive and pull right up to it.

Find another shop and give them the 3" BL installation instructions and tell them to reverse them. It should have shifter extensions, 3" grill supports, fan shroud relocation brackets, steering box brace, longer filler hose. 2 hours labor would be fair. 3 would cover their lunch break. ;)