Can't figure out how to install automatic transmission lines on 2004 TJ

Peanut

The transmission cooler lines on our jeep rusted out. Bought the new lines but can't figure out how to get them back in. If anyone can send me a pictures of the underside where the lines run that would be greatly appreciated!! Or if anyone has a blueprint. 2004 Jeep Wrangler tj auto. Spent 6 hours trying to put them in and got no where....

Reviving an oooooold thread. I'm replacing the automatic transmission cooling lines on my 06 LJR. Or, at least trying to! The one is really snaked around stuff where it goes into the transmission. Everything is disconnected and and the new ones are here. I found a thread where it was recommended to remove the exhaust pipe from the manifold to make space. Do you guys agree? Any other good suggestions? I've had the LJR for several years and haven't had to do much of anything in the way of repairs, just maintenance, so I don't have much wrenching experience with it. I downloaded all the appropriate manuals from the link above, but so far haven't found the procedure for this task. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Reviving an oooooold thread. I'm replacing the automatic transmission cooling lines on my 06 LJR. Or, at least trying to! The one is really snaked around stuff where it goes into the transmission. Everything is disconnected and and the new ones are here. I found a thread where it was recommended to remove the exhaust pipe from the manifold to make space. Do you guys agree? Any other good suggestions? I've had the LJR for several years and haven't had to do much of anything in the way of repairs, just maintenance, so I don't have much wrenching experience with it. I downloaded all the appropriate manuals from the link above, but so far haven't found the procedure for this task. Thanks in advance for your advice!
You’ll get a much better response if you start a new thread, trust me (y)

You have to drop the exhaust from the manifold.

You’ll get a much better response if you start a new thread, trust me (y)
I've never understood that, and several forums behave that way. I must be in the minority, but it makes more sense to me to discuss more at length on a topic in one thread than to spread the discussions on one topic over multiple threads. Consolidate! Simplify search results! Oh well. We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: LONGJP2
You have to drop the exhaust from the manifold.
Two votes (one from some other thread) for dropping the pipe. I'll go take a look at that right now. Thanks!!

Edit: Took a look. The top nuts will be difficult to get a box end on. Liquid Wrench applied.
- There seems to be several layers/parts in this connection. Not as simple of a connection as I expected.
- What are the squared-style brackets or clip things for?
- What all is going to fall apart when this disconnects?
- How big of a PITA is it to get back together? :)
- The upper O2 sensors seem to be in the exhaust manifold and will stay there, correct?
- The two lower O2 sensors need disconnected, correct?
- This isn't just disconnecting from the manifold, I have to disconnect front part of exhaust from rear part by the transmission hangar and drop the whole front part, correct?

Last edited:
Two votes (one from some other thread) for dropping the pipe. I'll go take a look at that right now. Thanks!!
This isn't a democracy or build by committee. If you don't drop the exhaust from the manifold, you can't get the transmission cooler lines behind it and around the bell housing on the transmission regardless of how many folks vote or how they vote.

Edit: Took a look. The top nuts will be difficult to get a box end on. Liquid Wrench applied. What are the squared-style brackets or clip things for? There seems to be several layers/parts in this connection.

I just replaced my transmission cooler lines and rear main seal. I dropped the exhaust. I don't see any other way to do it. My top nuts were pretty rusted and I ended up removing the fender to get better access.