Can't remove front axle, any tips?

dudehitt

TJ Enthusiast
I'm changing a u-joint but I didn't want to mess with the axle nut. I got the three bolts out, shouldn't it come off now? I guess it's rusted together. I've been hitting it with a mallet. Are there any tricks to this or is there a better way?

Got it apart. U-joints are hopeless. There's so much rust and crap in there I can't even find the clips to remove them.

Looks like it's time replace all of it. Is there any difference between Yukon and USA Standard on amazon? Yukon is $60 more and they both say chrome-moly.

Go with Spicer 5-760x u-joints for the axle shafts. 4340 chromoly shafts 27 spline shafts make for a nice upgrade. Revolution Gear would be my choice, Yukon would be fine too. Make sure you replace the inner/outer shafts together.

I went with Yukon because I can get them Tuesday. I was worried about overnight shipping for the chinese revolution parts. Didn't really want to do this right now, but I've got a mild offroad trip next weekend with my daughter. I guess it will be checked off my to do list until I break them.

Reactions: 04 LJ
Are the ears on the axles bent? Are you sure you can’t save them?

Can you clean them up and smack the joints out using a hammer and block of wood?

Are the ears on the axles bent? Are you sure you can’t save them?

Can you clean them up and smack the joints out using a hammer and block of wood?
I beat on the joints, nothing moved. At all. I don't think i bent the ears yet, but I'm done. I may be able to cut the u-joint in half then beat them out, but I really don't see another way. I can't tell what's u-joint, cap, clip, or just rust. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow. Hopefully my other car's battery takes a charge overnight so I can make it to work.

They are just little clips that reside in the edges of the joint.

The joints are toast wackmthe cap with a ball peen hammer and free one up. You will see the clip. Get it out of there and put the joint on a piece of wood. Smack the other side and drive the cap out. You can alternate between blows to get the cap moving then pull it out.

It take a minute to find the technique but is pretty easily done.

The biggest problem is I can't even find the clips because there's so much gunk in there. I wanted 4340 axles anyway, this just accelerated the time frame. New axles and timken unit bearings will be here tomorrow. Taking the day off wednesday for install. It was getting late on a Sunday, daughter wants to go wheeling in Flagstaff for birthday, and it's my DD. I'll try later and keep these for spares.

Thanks for all the help everyone.