Can't remove gas cap?

DeadStang

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have searched and don't find my issue — sorry if this is redundant.

I have an '06 with a locking cap. The key turns the lock both ways about 1/4 turn (it seems like it's working) but the cap just spins and spins and I can't get it off to gas up. Help!

I have searched and don't find my issue — sorry if this is redundant.

I have an '06 with a locking cap. The key turns the lock both ways about 1/4 turn (it seems like it's working) but the cap just spins and spins and I can't get it off to gas up. Help!
Try push it in, while turning it left.

That'd be a good idea. Consider a less troublesome non-locking gas cap. The days of easily siphoning gas out of our tanks are pretty much history.

With the TJ’s having that little cage/plunger thing at the neck of the tank, I’d think it would be next to impossible to siphon gas out of our tanks, unless you had a really small hose and a lot of time. LOL

I‘d get a non locking cap If it were me.

With the TJ’s having that little cage/plunger thing at the neck of the tank, I’d think it would be next to impossible to siphon gas out of our tanks, unless you had a really small hose and a lot of time. LOL

I‘d get a non locking cap If it were me.
I couldn't agree more!

I got a cover with a gas cap door for about $20 and it looks great and gives off the impression the cap is secure just like any other car. No need to fuss with the lock and it makes someone think twice about trying to siphon.

"I think maybe one or two of us go down the same road

1.) observe mileage is awful
2.) think somebody must be stealing gas
3.) buy locking gas cap
4.) curse locking gas cap
5.) accpet mileage is awful
6.) put stock cap back on. "

Hahahahaha! That's ALL my cars.

I've never even locked the gas cap as the Jeep sits in the garage and sometimes out back at my work so I never worry about it being siphoned. Where do you guys typically shop for parts — a fuel door, a non-locking OEM gas cap, etc?

Thanks for all the replies, BTW!

Might just be NY dickheads, but kids like to dump sugar, flour, milk, soda, etc. Into gas tanks around here. Has been going on since I can remember. At least 2 generations of dickheads. So a secure tank is almost mandatory up here.

Reactions: Zorba
Might just be NY dickheads, but kids like to dump sugar, flour, milk, soda, etc. Into gas tanks around here. Has been going on since I can remember. At least 2 generations of dickheads. So a secure tank is almost mandatory up here.

My ex accused me of dumping sugar in her tank years ago. I told her you know I love cars so I’d be more likely to dump a bag of Sugar down your throat than in you tank. She didn’t like that.