Can't remove upper front control arm

Hopper

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
20201104_114247.jpg

This flag just keeps spinning. Can I cut it off at the flag and knock out the bolt?

Penetrating oil on the bolt and vise grips on the flag?
Or cut the whole bolt off and start fresh.

Reactions: Hopper
Again, I am glad that I live in the anti-rust belt.
I have more mold and mildew on my jeep than rust.

OP, if you're going to trash the axle bushing anyway, you could try this suggestion from another thread. Drill into the bushing through the arm and basically use the bit or something else as a stop for that flag nut. Then try to pop the nut off with an impact.

Should be able to cut the flag off and get the bolt out. You'll want new hardware anyway.

Next time, try Kroil, ditch the PB Blaster.

I'd try to put a clamp or pair of vice grips on the arm in a position that interferes with the flag nut when it rotates. Cutting it is an option, but it seems that you have enough meat there to grab it somehow before you resort to that.

Vice grips works sometimes, but also, sometimes, results in a stripped nut. Bang the arm in a little around the flag nut and take a Sawzall to it. The flag nut serves as a guide. You will need to grab the nut end with Vice grips, so it won't spin. This makes quick work of it!

Reactions: RobertJ
Your's are in no better condition then the one's I replaced during the frame swap and I can pretty much guarantee that the bushing and bolt have seized into one and in the end the best option is just to cut everything away and install new arms, bushings and hardware.

Reactions: Irun
Reactions: Irun
It's possible that the same bushing is pressed into the UCA at the frame side but most just replace the whole control arm at that point.

I'd try to put a clamp or pair of vice grips on the arm in a position that interferes with the flag nut when it rotates. Cutting it is an option, but it seems that you have enough meat there to grab it somehow before you resort to that.

This is what I did and it worked easily. I did such little damage to it, I even ended up reusing the hardware. It worked as it should for torqueing it down.

Reactions: Blondie70