chaz.t0

I have a 2001 Sport, 4.0 manual transmission. Long story short it is about impossible for me to get my trans into first gear. Second is slightly less difficult, and third through fifth are not so easy either. On occasion I can get it to slide right in, but there seems to be no pattern or anything I'm doing differently to get that to happen.

I didn't drive my Jeep for the past ~3 weeks because I was swapping out the axles. Before this period, my clutch seemed to work fine. My synchros have been worn for a while but nothing concerning. After the initial test drive with new axles it drove fine for a day or two, then yesterday I just suddenly couldn't get into gear at a stop light. Going from neutral or another gear doesn't seem to make a difference. It's just a fight regardless. Fluids are all full, and I've never had to top off the master cylinder.

Anyone have ideas? I have ordered a new LUK master/slave cylinder kit to see if that helps. Also looked over the linkage and that looks fine. Otherwise I'm at a loss. Think I need a whole new clutch? Thanks in advance everyone.

Sounds to me like your transmission needs a rebuild. How many miles are on it?

Look inside the clutch MC reservoir and check for fluid level; then do an inspection on the clutch MC and slave for signs of dampness or actual leaks.
Can you shut off the engine and easily put the transmission in every gear?
IF you can then i would lean towards the clutch MC and slave; IF you cant... then it's probably a transmission problem.

Look inside the clutch MC reservoir and check for fluid level; then do an inspection on the clutch MC and slave for signs of dampness or actual leaks.
IF you can then i would lean towards the clutch MC and slave; IF you cant... then it's probably a transmission problem.
No visual signs of leaks or moisture... I have read that they can leak internally though. With the engine off it shifts between gears like butter. SO hopefully the MC and slave set fixes it.

No visual signs of leaks or moisture... I have read that they can leak internally though. With the engine off it shifts between gears like butter. SO hopefully the MC and slave set fixes it.
This past February when mine started giving me problems; I checked the MC and found the fluid some what low with what appeared to be metal particles sitting in the bottom of the reservoir.
The slave can leak and the fluid stays inside the bell housing.
When I removed the slave from the bell housing the fluid started to dribble out...

I have a 2001 Sport, 4.0 manual transmission. Long story short it is about impossible for me to get my trans into first gear. Second is slightly less difficult, and third through fifth are not so easy either. On occasion I can get it to slide right in, but there seems to be no pattern or anything I'm doing differently to get that to happen.

I didn't drive my Jeep for the past ~3 weeks because I was swapping out the axles. Before this period, my clutch seemed to work fine. My synchros have been worn for a while but nothing concerning. After the initial test drive with new axles it drove fine for a day or two, then yesterday I just suddenly couldn't get into gear at a stop light. Going from neutral or another gear doesn't seem to make a difference. It's just a fight regardless. Fluids are all full, and I've never had to top off the master cylinder.

Anyone have ideas? I have ordered a new LUK master/slave cylinder kit to see if that helps. Also looked over the linkage and that looks fine. Otherwise I'm at a loss. Think I need a whole new clutch? Thanks in advance everyone.
I had the same issues before and I was close to doing a new clutch, new transmission, all of that. But I didn’t and it resolved itself. Although I did do a number of things that could have helped. Have you done anything like a tummy tuck or a TC drop? Anything that would change the position of your shifter height? It could be a mechanical issue blocking it from shifting which I believe was my situation.