• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Can't shift into 4LO after skid plate install

Fast Eddy

Supporting Member
I took my oem transfer skid off to have it sand blasted and power coated . After getting it back i reinstalled it but now i cannot shift into 4low. It seems to be in a bind but the reinstall went smooth. Ant ideas, Thanks, Ed

EzPeezy

TJ Enthusiast
It's probably something with the 4wd linkage. Did you support the transmission with a jack stand when you dropped the skid plate, or did it all droop down? The linkage can pop out if the driveline is lowered too far or suddenly. Hopefully you'll be able to just drop the skid again and make sure the linkage is hooked up. Maybe even without dropping it if you're a contortionist. Does it feel like the lever is connected or does it feel loosy goosy?

OP
F

Fast Eddy

Supporting Member
I did support the trans but the skid was off for two weeks and the jack bled off about two inches, so this may have caused the problem, Thanks

andy29847

TJ Enthusiast
Here is a write up about my shift cable install. It includes a picture of the stock linkage. It's a ugly piece of engineering.

mr_sparkle

Supporting Member
I did support the trans but the skid was off for two weeks and the jack bled off about two inches, so this may have caused the problem, Thanks

Sorry, I don't know if this has been touched in this thread yet and I hate being kind of a dcik but jacks are only used for lifting. Once you have the vehicle lifted you should ALWAYS use a jack stand to hold the vehicle. I would never trust my jack by itself.

JMT

The Jeep Guy
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Yeah, there are 4 transmission mount bolts that come through the skid. Make sure they are actually coming through the slots in the skid and nuts are torqued down.

cliffish

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Sorry, I don't know if this has been touched in this thread yet and I hate being kind of a dcik but jacks are only used for lifting. Once you have the vehicle lifted you should ALWAYS use a jack stand to hold the vehicle. I would never trust my jack by itself.
I get what you are saying and agree, but in this case I believe he was only using the jack to support the tranny and not the entire vehicle. Of course if did use a jack stand to hold the tranny up then this probably would not have happened. Anyway, should be an easy fix.

OP
F

Fast Eddy

Supporting Member
Jeep was on all four tires, used floor jack to support the trans. I am on 35's so plenty of room to work, i will have time today to drop skid and see whats going on. Thanks

OP
F

Fast Eddy

Supporting Member
Well i am throwing in the towel on this, i removed the skid plate and can find nothing that looks unhooked or in a bind. Will take it to a 4x4 shop and see what they say, maybe time for a cable shifter. Of the two available which one do you guys think is the best, Thanks, Ed