Can't shift into 4LO after skid plate install

Fast Eddy

Fast Eddy
Supporting Member
I took my oem transfer skid off to have it sand blasted and power coated . After getting it back i reinstalled it but now i cannot shift into 4low. It seems to be in a bind but the reinstall went smooth. Ant ideas, Thanks, Ed

Check the shifter linkage. Also make sure your transmission mount is bolted on

It's probably something with the 4wd linkage. Did you support the transmission with a jack stand when you dropped the skid plate, or did it all droop down? The linkage can pop out if the driveline is lowered too far or suddenly. Hopefully you'll be able to just drop the skid again and make sure the linkage is hooked up. Maybe even without dropping it if you're a contortionist. Does it feel like the lever is connected or does it feel loosy goosy?

I did support the trans but the skid was off for two weeks and the jack bled off about two inches, so this may have caused the problem, Thanks

I did support the trans but the skid was off for two weeks and the jack bled off about two inches, so this may have caused the problem, Thanks

Sorry, I don't know if this has been touched in this thread yet and I hate being kind of a dcik but jacks are only used for lifting. Once you have the vehicle lifted you should ALWAYS use a jack stand to hold the vehicle. I would never trust my jack by itself.

Yeah, there are 4 transmission mount bolts that come through the skid. Make sure they are actually coming through the slots in the skid and nuts are torqued down.

Sorry, I don't know if this has been touched in this thread yet and I hate being kind of a dcik but jacks are only used for lifting. Once you have the vehicle lifted you should ALWAYS use a jack stand to hold the vehicle. I would never trust my jack by itself.
I get what you are saying and agree, but in this case I believe he was only using the jack to support the tranny and not the entire vehicle. Of course if did use a jack stand to hold the tranny up then this probably would not have happened. Anyway, should be an easy fix.

Jeep was on all four tires, used floor jack to support the trans. I am on 35's so plenty of room to work, i will have time today to drop skid and see whats going on. Thanks

Well i am throwing in the towel on this, i removed the skid plate and can find nothing that looks unhooked or in a bind. Will take it to a 4x4 shop and see what they say, maybe time for a cable shifter. Of the two available which one do you guys think is the best, Thanks, Ed