Canvas Tool Wrap Comparison

I've been thinking about a tool roll for a couple years now. The tool bag I carry is a pig and impossible to find anything easily. Plus, my sockets go in a separate bag. More money to spend, yay! :cautious:

20220603_182600.jpg

Reactions: Apparition
So I took Ryan's (@Apparition) suggestions and had these labels made up for the tool rools. They are velcro backed, so I can easily move them around or replace them. I'll sew the velcro backing to the rolls.

Thanks for the tip, Ryan.

View attachment 334631

Well, spelling notwithstanding, I’m please with the quality of the patches…

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
So today I learned a new skill: I borrowed my daughter's sewing machine and finished up the tool rolls.

Don't laugh, just taking my cues from @jscherb (Although if Jeff were doing this project, he would have sewn the entire tool roll... :))

For the tool roll side of the label fastener, I cut and used adhesive backed velcro.

IMG_1391.JPG

This made it an easy task to position the velcro and hold it in place for sewing.

IMG_1392.JPG

And then after a few lessons from my wife, a bunch of help getting it set up, and an assortment of spicy language while figuring it out, off I went.

IMG_1395.JPG

I placed a velcro strip on each pocket, and one on the outside of the roll. I ran a stitch around the entire perimiter of each piece.

IMG_1398.JPG

And the finished product:

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_E1404.JPG

And yes, Ryan, I did order replacement patches for "Alan" and "Extentions." :rolleyes:

All in all, a fun little project.

Last edited:
So today I learned a new skill: I borrowed my daughter's sewing machine and finished up the tool rolls.

Don't laugh, just taking my cues from @jscherb (Although if Jeff were doing this project, he would have sewn the entire tool roll... :))

For the tool roll side of the label fastener, I cut and used adhesive backed velcro.

View attachment 335092

This made it an easy task to position the velcro and hold it in place for sewing.

View attachment 335093

And then after a few lessons from my wife, a bunch of help getting it set up, and an assortment of spicy language while figuring it out, off I went.

View attachment 335094

I placed a velcro strip on each pocket, and one on the outside of the roll. I ran a stitch around the entire perimiter of each piece.

View attachment 335095

View attachment 335096

View attachment 335097

And yes, Ryan, I did order replacement patches for "Alan" and "Extentions." :rolleyes:

Looks really good. Nice work.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ and L J
Nicely done! Now that you've learned a bit about the sewing machine and successfully completed your first sewing project, I expect it won't be long before you're designing new fabric Jeep accessories and sewing them from scratch.

View attachment 335092

View attachment 335093

View attachment 335094

View attachment 335095

View attachment 335096

View attachment 335097

Next up will be a DIY roof top tent! Almost everyone in that on-line community say they made great progress on their build ... until it came to the tent. :eek:

I picked up the Terrev based on this review to replace my POS one. Seems very well made with useful features. Zippers seem excellent quality. Mine even came with self-adhesive labels for the zipper pulls with a permanent marker included.

I picked up the Terrev based on this review to replace my POS one. Seems very well made with useful features. Zippers seem excellent quality. Mine even came with self-adhesive labels for the zipper pulls with a permanent marker included.

Awesome! Glad this thread was of some use.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
I also bought the Terrev. Works great and I really appreciate that I can hang it open on the back of my rig. It makes the tools much easier to access.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I also bought the Terrev. Works great and I really appreciate that I can hang it open on the back of my rig. It makes the tools much easier to access.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Awesome! Glad this thread was of some use.

:)

I have been contemplating tools and tool storage in prep for this years Moab trip. Went through a lot of ideas. Some of you guys are amazing, like the Milwaukee pack outs with inner foam customized for each wrench, socket or tool all stacked perfectly. Too OCD for me, but awesome . I remembered @NashvilleTJ stuff on tool rolls. Thanks Jeff! your criteria, evaluation, and description were invaluable in choosing one. Amazon does not have the Terrev right now, but Walmart does.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Terrev-T...nch-Tool-Organizer-for-Electrician/2731080287

Before I discovered it’s availability at Wa-Mart, I had found this one and ordered it. I won’t be able to compare it to the Terrev, but I can leave a review. Pockets are 14.96” wide, so I should be able to get my breaker bar, 5-80lb torque wrench, and other long tools like valve stem installer in the pockets.

Voltstorm Tool Roll Tool Bag - Ballistic Nylon 1200D Kevlar Stitches YKK Zipper Wear Resistant, Zero-Abrasion Tool Bag 12 Pockets Wrench Roll Up Tool Pouch for Motorcycle Electrician Carpenter Plumber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098T1Y6PV/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Now I’m looking for a good bag to store recovery gear. I may have one already, but I need to pack it and see how well it works. Space is a premium in a TJ, so I’m open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I have been contemplating tools and tool storage in prep for this years Moab trip. Went through a lot of ideas. Some of you guys are amazing, like the Milwaukee pack outs with inner foam customized for each wrench, socket or tool. Too OCD for me. I remembered @NashvilleTJ stuff on tool rolls. Thanks! Amazon does not have the Terrev right now, but Walmart does.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Terrev-T...nch-Tool-Organizer-for-Electrician/2731080287

Before I discovered that bit of info I had found this one and ordered it. I won’t be able to compare it to the Terrev, but I can give a review. Pockets are 14.96” wide, so I should be able to get my breaker bar, 5-80lb torque wrench, and other long tools like valve stem installer.

Voltstorm Tool Roll Tool Bag - Ballistic Nylon 1200D Kevlar Stitches YKK Zipper Wear Resistant, Zero-Abrasion Tool Bag 12 Pockets Wrench Roll Up Tool Pouch for Motorcycle Electrician Carpenter Plumber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098T1Y6PV/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Now I’m looking for a good bag to store recovery gear. I may have one already, but I need to pack it and see how well it works. Space is a premium in a TJ, so I’m open to suggestions.

Why the torque wrench? I use German torque on trail fixes - Gudentite

I have been contemplating tools and tool storage in prep for this years Moab trip. Went through a lot of ideas. Some of you guys are amazing, like the Milwaukee pack outs with inner foam customized for each wrench, socket or tool. Too OCD for me. I remembered @NashvilleTJ stuff on tool rolls. Thanks! Amazon does not have the Terrev right now, but Walmart does.

Before I discovered that bit of info I had found this one and ordered it. I won’t be able to compare it to the Terrev, but I can give a review. Pockets are 14.96” wide, so I should be able to get my breaker bar, 5-80lb torque wrench, and other long tools like valve stem installer.

That roll looks nice. Looking forward to your review.

I still like the Terrev rolls after living with them for a while now. The Voltstorm looks similar.

Reactions: JMT