Car pics too cool not to share

Keeping with the 8/8 theme : These beauties were before my time but I think they're cool, 57 Olds Super 88 j2 factory 3 deuce carbs on 371 cid V-8.

View attachment 349450

View attachment 349451

My buddy has a 4-door hardtop '57 98 with a J2 in it (he added the J2 from a wrecked car). Has had the car since he was 13. Even drove it to Florida and back, once. Nice ol' boat.

I saw these at a local cruise-in that got rained out over the weekend. Little man loved the "monster" truck. Hey @Squatch what are you doing on my side of the country, and why haven't you come to see me yet?

KIMG1286.JPG

KIMG1287.JPG

KIMG1288.JPG

KIMG1289.JPG

What does "J2" indicate? The 3x2 intake or a specific engine package?

From Hemmings:

"The extra carburetion, plus thinner head gaskets bumping compression to 10.0:1, was rated at an even 300hp at 4,600 RPM, and 415-lbs.ft. at 3,000 RPM in 1957--not bad for your $83 outlay. (The same package was rated at 312 horsepower in 1958.) A hotter camshaft, not recommended for street use, was part of an over-the-counter J2 package that cost $395 at your local dealer."

I remember that with my buddy's '57, the 10.0:1 compression ratio made finding a high enough octane gas supply a challenge. While I cannot find a picture of an original sticker, I'm almost certain that the sticker on the cowl gave the compression ratio, as well as a required octane rating of 97! :oops:

I remember that with my buddy's '57, the 10.0:1 compression ratio made finding a high enough octane gas supply a challenge. While I cannot find a picture of an original sticker, I'm almost certain that the sticker on the cowl gave the compression ratio, as well as a required octane rating of 97! :oops:

That's how it is with my Chrysler. '65 413 all iron with a factory 10.1:1 compression, she really wants/needs high octane. I used to mix half 100LL, and half 93 non-ethanol and she ran fine. Now I can't get 100LL easily (damn the bureaucrats), so I have to run additives and probably should re(de)tune her a little.

Last edited:
That's how it is with my Chrysler. '65 413 all iron with a factory 10.1:1 compression, she really wants/needs high octane. I used to mix half 100LL, and half 93 non-ethanol and she ran fine. Now I can't get 100LL easily (damn the bureaucrats), so I have to run additives and probably should retune her a little.

I remember in high school that one of the tricks we used was to run a thicker head gasket. It affectively dropped the compression ratio a bit. I can't remember what brand it was, but there was a company that marketed their thicker gaskets as a solution to the problems of lower octane fuel.

I like it but I also like the fat tire look on bikes....

View attachment 349596

I hear ya, brother. I'm just the opposite, however. I have a set of 4.00" wide wheels, as well as a set of 4.500" wide wheels...early Rambler...that I would rather run on the front of a gasser. I just like the look of bicycle tires, I guess. ;)

I hear ya, brother. I'm just the opposite, however. I have a set of 4.00" wide wheels, as well as a set of 4.500" wide wheels...early Rambler...that I would rather run on the front of a gasser. I just like the look of bicycle tires, I guess. ;)

Which is what makes the car world go round and round.... We each have our own style. A fact that seems to be lost on some around here.

I like it but I also like the fat tire look on bikes....

There's a fine line there. My neighbor has a bike shop building and selling (90% crotch rockets) and I see some WIDE tires. I don't even know how some of those bikes lean into a turn. No need for a kickstand, just get off and walk away. :LOL:

Here's one they're selling. 360 mm (14.1 inch) back tire.
1660064135550.png

There's a fine line there. My neighbor has a bike shop building and selling (90% crotch rockets) and I see some WIDE tires. I don't even know how some of those bikes lean into a turn. No need for a kickstand, just get off and walk away. :LOL:

Yep,
It's like the guys who run a car rear tire... How do you lean into a turn?

And yes one of the things that has kept be from doing the wide tire conversion on the front of my bike is that I LOVE to carve the corners and from what I've been told a fat front tire is harder to lean until you get it leaning. So it's made me hold off.

Reactions: reddvltj and BlueC