Car pics too cool not to share

They were the KEWL thing in the mid 70's when I use to cruize Colby Ave in Everett, WA but the real cool thing then to do was to chop and shorten the wheelbase. I couldn't tell you now how much they shortened it but I'd guess they took 12-18" out of it, They were a wheely monster.
A buddy of mine owns shop in Marysville that builds high-end street rods. I was in there several years ago, and he had a customer's '56 Chev 4-door wagon that they had cut down into a "shorty". It was about halfway finished, and the customer already had $60,000 invested into it. My buddy turned to me and commented how he felt it was the biggest waste of money he had seen in his shop, because no matter what they did to it, the proportions were all wrong with the midsection missing. I would have to agree. But, to each their own, right?

A '57 I tripped across while doing some research, yesterday...
1643558833464.png

Last edited:
That red shorty just reminded me of one I saw in 2018. The guy that built it in the 70s still owned it and was in his 70s when I saw it. I didn't even know I had a rear shot with a view of the closed liftgate. I guess the 2 door sedan delivery was just too long for him.

View attachment 305916 View attachment 305917
Okay, this is just too cool. See those wheels? I have a set of those in my garage. They're by a company called Foresight Ventures, and the model is called the Drag Mag. Love 'em! :cool:

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
A buddy of mine owns shop in Marysville that builds high-end street rods. I was in there several years ago, and he had a customer's '56 Chev 4-door wagon that they had cut down into a "shorty". It was about halfway finished, and the customer already had $60,000 invested into it. My buddy turned to me and commented how he felt it was the biggest waste of money he had had seen in his shop, because no matter what they did to it, the proportions were all wrong with the midsection missing. I would have to agree. But, to each their own, right?

A '57 I tripped across while doing some research, yesterday...
View attachment 305905

Yep there were like 3-4 RICH kids who ran them when I lived there in the 70's. Man could they light up the street too.
You always knew who the rich jocks were cause they had the RAD cars.

I wish I had pictures of my 57 Chevy. I bought it for $200 & a octagon barrel 30-30 lever action rifle. I got stupid and sold it while I was stationed at Ft Lewis. It was a 2 door no post w a 283 & 3 speed manual trans.

Yep there were like 3-4 RICH kids who ran them when I lived there in the 70's. Man could they light up the street too.
You always knew who the rich jocks were cause they had the RAD cars.

I wish I had pictures of my 57 Chevy. I bought it for $200 & a octagon barrel 30-30 lever action rifle. I got stupid and sold it while I was stationed at Ft Lewis. It was a 2 door no post w a 283 & 3 speed manual trans.
My first mother-in-law sold her husband's '57 Bel Air 2-door hardtop while he was in Alaska on a job. Got enough for it to almost pay cash for a brand new '71 Chevy, so she just knew she had gotten a screaming deal for the '57. Oh, and the new car? A 1971 Vega. :rolleyes:

My first mother-in-law sold her husband's '57 Bel Air 2-door hardtop while he was in Alaska on a job. Got enough for it to almost pay cash for a brand new '71 Chevy, so she just knew she had gotten a screaming deal for the '57. Oh, and the new car? A 1971 Vega. :rolleyes:

Damn is he in Jail? Cause I sure as heck would have killed her. Spouses do stupid shit sometimes. I ain't gunna say women cause it works both ways. I've seen men do the stupid shit too.
I was young and dumb is all I can say. And didn't know what I had at the time. Plus in 1983 you could buy a 57 Chevy for under $5K. And mine needed a LOT and I mean a LOT of work.

Reactions: Squatch
Damn is he in Jail? Cause I sure as heck would have killed her. Spouses do stupid shit sometimes. I ain't gunna say women cause it works both ways. I've seen men do the stupid shit too.
I was young and dumb is all I can say. And didn't know what I had at the time. Plus in 1983 you could buy a 57 Chevy for under $5K. And mine needed a LOT and I mean a LOT of work.
Preaching to the choir, brother. ;) Like selling a legitimate '69 Mach I (4-speed car) for $500 to a buddy because "I don't want to own a Ford"...

I hate myself, sometimes. 😒

Preaching to the choir, brother. ;) Like selling a legitimate '69 Mach I (4-speed car) for $500 to a buddy because "I don't want to own a Ford"...

I feel your regret Squatch, ! sold my 2 nd owner '69 Camaro SS, 350, 4 spd, for $ 3200.00 in 1983.
I thought I needed to buy a new GMC T-15 4X4 :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman and Squatch

In my very young days, a neighbor gave me a '53 Ranch Wagon. I got the title up to date, rebuilt the carb and replaced a rear brake drum and then sold it for $50. My Dad was all about VW's Toyota's and his Chevy work truck.

I feel your regret Squatch, ! sold my 2 nd owner '69 Camaro SS, 350, 4 spd, for $ 3200.00 in 1983.
I thought I needed to buy a new GMC T-15 4X4 :rolleyes:
In my very young days, a neighbor gave me a '53 Ranch Wagon. I got the title up to date, rebuilt the carb and replaced a rear brake drum and then sold it for $50. My Dad was all about VW's Toyota's and his Chevy work truck.
Ahhh, youth. If we only knew then what we know now...

It always sounds fun but if you adjust for inflation, maintenance and all the little details like insurance and registration you'd find buying a nice one today is a bargain. The only thing you lost out on was having it all these years.