Car pics too cool not to share

_nc_ohc=FyWHygD1td4AX_Q1dB8&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

This is a Maybach HL 230 V12 petrol engine used in German Tigers and Panthers during the Second World War. No, German tanks were not powered diesel engines as is often thought.
This particular engine is out of a Tiger II.
The Maybach HL 230 is a 23 litre (1,400 cu in) V12 that produces 700 hp, and an enormous 1,850 Nm (1,364 ft lbs) of torque at 2,100 rpm.

The HL 230 was an upgrade over the 600 hp HL 210, which powered the first 250 Tiger Is. The 210 had an aluminium block and a 21 litre displacement, and suffered from reliability issues. To make more power, the engine block was changed to cast iron, and displacement increased to 23 liters, along with other changes, resulting in the HL 230.

The HL 230 was an upgrade over the 600 hp HL 210, which powered the first 250 Tiger Is. The 210 had an aluminium block and a 21 litre displacement, and suffered from reliability issues. To make more power, the engine block was changed to cast iron, and displacement increased to 23 liters, along with other changes, resulting in the HL 230.
There is an old 1920-something Benz that someone stuffed a "21 litre Maybach Zeppelin engine" into - maybe its this HL-210? Apparently, you can hear this thing start up over 5 miles away! I do know the Zeppelin engines were LOUD - people in the San Francisco Bay Area talked for generations about the USS Macon - powered by Maybach - shaking houses when it passed overhead. It used earlier engines that were 560 HP 33 Litre V-12s, and there were 8 of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Macon_(ZRS-5)

View attachment 406859

This is a Maybach HL 230 V12 petrol engine used in German Tigers and Panthers during the Second World War. No, German tanks were not powered diesel engines as is often thought.
This particular engine is out of a Tiger II.
The Maybach HL 230 is a 23 litre (1,400 cu in) V12 that produces 700 hp, and an enormous 1,850 Nm (1,364 ft lbs) of torque at 2,100 rpm.

I like tanks.

There is an old 1920-something Benz that someone stuffed a "21 litre Maybach Zeppelin engine" into - maybe its this HL-210? Apparently, you can hear this thing start up over 5 miles away! I do know the Zeppelin engines were LOUD - people in the San Francisco Bay Area talked for generations about the USS Macon - powered by Maybach - shaking houses when it passed overhead. It used earlier engines that were 560 HP 33 Litre V-12s, and there were 8 of them.

[URL]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Macon_(ZRS-5)[/URL]

How in the hell did passengers put up with the noise of the engines, I wonder?

How in the hell did passengers put up with the noise of the engines, I wonder?

As far as the Benz goes, beats me, maybe they wore ear muffs - I read the article in the MBZ club magazine probably 30 years ago. For the Macon et al, it was probably a situation of how the exhaust ports were pointed I'd guess...

Reactions: Squatch