Car pics too cool not to share

1701309460670.png

“Blown Income” 52 Henry J Corsair Gasser Dynod at 690HP!!
W/ Dart 427 block built by Kenny Dutwieler as a pump gas screamer using Brodix aluminum heads Jessel shaft rockers Diamond 9:4:1 pistons Crower custom roller cam 6-71 supercharger and Hillborn injection. A B&M Clutch Turbo is mated to a McLeod twin disc clutch that runs the dynod 690hp at 6500 rpms to a Ford 9 inch rear end running 4:11 gears. Front suspension consists of a Speedway front axle with Ford spindles Wilwood disc brakes and Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable shocks. The rear suspension is the stock springs on rollers with four foot ladder bars Competition Engineering 3 way shocks and Ford drum brakes!!

View attachment 478238

View attachment 478239

View attachment 478240

For me, the Henry J and the Willys coupe are quintessential gasser material. In their stock form, they're pretty cool. But as gassers, they are kick-ass!

1701311883070.png

1701312217866.png

1701312681271.png

1701312707561.png

This is For Sale in TN for $28,500 but I learned something new today. I didn't know that the original Power Glides had Reverse after Drive/Low.

1701362991180.png

1701363028601.png

Nice clean original 57. I'd much rather have a hulk of one so I could put my desired powertrain into it. I couldn't do that to an original like this.

I didn't know that the original Power Glides had Reverse after Drive/Low.

Yeah, I don't think P-R-N-D-L was standardized until the early '60, and it became US DOT law in the late '60s. That might have been one of those Ralph Nadar "Unsafe at Any Speed" topics. I know '50s Studebaker are P-D-L-R, and I've seen or driven a car with P-L-D-R. Manufactures were free to do as they wanted pre '60s.

Those original Powerglides are also cast iron case, and not particularly liked. They are the ones that got the phrase "slip-n-slide with Powerglide".

Yeah, I don't think P-R-N-D-L was standardized until the early '60, and it became US DOT law in the late '60s. That might have been one of those Ralph Nadar "Unsafe at Any Speed" topics. I know '50s Studebaker are P-D-L-R, and I've seen or driven a car with P-L-D-R. Manufactures were free to do as they wanted pre '60s.

In the FB group they've been discussing it and it was only the Power Glide that had that shift pattern.

TurboGlide transmission had Reverse after Park.

1701366445840.png

The 57 Chevy I had was converted to a stick so I honestly never looked at the indicator for the transmission. It had a 3 speed with a Hurt shifter on the floor.

Reactions: reddvltj
I honestly don't know when the Turboglide was out. I know they were optional on '58, '59, '60 Impalas, but they are rare. Obviously, they came out before '58.

From what everyone in this group is saying it was an option in '57. But I'm not sure either. I thought only the Power Glide was an option that that time. And I think the person I bought mine from had told me it had come with a Power Glide.

The Turboglide is a Chevrolet constant torque, continuously variable automatic transmission first offered as an option on Chevrolet V8 passenger cars for 1957.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo...ide is a Chevrolet,V8 passenger cars for 1957.

Reactions: reddvltj and BlueC