Car pics too cool not to share

I didn't know that the original Power Glides had Reverse after Drive/Low.

Chrysler had its own unique way of doing it...

1701369088369.png

1701369236336.png

1701369267012.png

And this one is reportedly from a Mercury. I've never seen one of these, before...
1701369387836.png

• USA Proud
Reactions: reddvltj and BlueC
I've never driven a push button. I know those cars (Chryslers) had the park brake on the tail of the trans. I've heard old guys say they would slide away on a steep hill.

Never heard that one, before. There's another thread where there's some heated discussion over using your parking brake religiously as the answer to that problem, but after reading the back-and-forth on that, I'd rather stay away from that topic. :cautious:

Sadly, I've seen more cases where those pictures could be reversed for the "before and after"...:(

I've seen a few as well. This '55 is just a few miles from me. It has sat in this parking spot my whole life, slowly degrading. When I was a kid, it was a nice car with shinny paint. The story I was told was that the owner fixed it up for his wife back in the '80s, then she got sick and died a little while later. He parked it in front of his business, and it hasn't moved since, and he won't sell it.

1701370312659.png

1701370370082.png

1701370419710.png

Last edited:
I've never driven a push button. I know those cars (Chryslers) had the park brake on the tail of the trans. I've heard old guys say they would slide away on a steep hill.

I wonder if that's true of both the 2-speed PowerFlite and the 3-speed TorqueFlite, or just maybe the PowerFlite? :unsure:

I've seen a few as well. This '55 is just a few miles from me. I has sat in this parking spot my whole life, slowly degrading. When I was a kid, it was a nice car with shinny paint. The story I was told was that the owner fixed it up for his wife back in the '80s, then she got sick and dies a little while later. He parked it in front of his business, and it hasn't moved since, and he won't sell it.

View attachment 478415
View attachment 478417
View attachment 478418

Wow. That's heartbreaking on many levels...

Never heard that one, before.

The way it was explained to me is that with an open diff, only the driveshaft is locked, and if one wheel slips the car can roll. But that's just hearsay. I’ve never owned a car with trans mounted brake.

For some reason, thinking about that hurts my head. :LOL: I need to test that out. I guess it would be like having an open diff auto car in park. I just need to find a car I don't care about and give it a shove. Maybe my neighbor's truck will do. :sneaky:

Last edited:

A certain GMC pickup had that setup as well. My father burned up the parking brake several times due to the torque of the V6 engine - did I ever tell you about that engine? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch and BlueC