Car pics too cool not to share

Well, looking for a Pontiac OHC picture I rediscovered this :love:
1702304457501.png

It's a SOHC 421. I think Pontiac was experimenting with it for Can-Am racing (maybe a different series)

"1964 SOHC 421 Pontiac V8
Most likely prompted by its development of the Pontiac OHC six, the GM division built three different experimental SOHC 421 CID V8 engines in the early 1960s. According to the engineers who worked on the project, the SOHC 421 engines produced around 625 hp and were capable of turning 7,000 rpm.
One version of the engine featured camshafts driven off the front of the engine, another design had the cams driven by gears off the back of the engine."

1702304575662.png

1702304312860.png

Here's an interesting thread over on HAMB https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/unusual-engine-photos.1123661/page-34

Don't tell me you guys forgot about Poncho-power. I really want one of these engines.
View attachment 481518

Other than it being an SOHC, and being fairly short-lived, I don't know anything about 'em. Wasn't it only available in the Tempest and Firebird? Hell, maybe not even in the Tempest. I'll let you educate me on it, rather than the internet (that's cheating). ;)

Well, looking for a Pontiac OHC picture I rediscovered this :love:
View attachment 481521

It's a SOHC 421. I think Pontiac was experimenting with it for Can-Am racing (maybe a different series)

"1964 SOHC 421 Pontiac V8
Most likely prompted by its development of the Pontiac OHC six, the GM division built three different experimental SOHC 421 CID V8 engines in the early 1960s. According to the engineers who worked on the project, the SOHC 421 engines produced around 625 hp and were capable of turning 7,000 rpm.
One version of the engine featured camshafts driven off the front of the engine, another design had the cams driven by gears off the back of the engine."

View attachment 481522

View attachment 481520

Here's an interesting thread over on HAMB https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/unusual-engine-photos.1123661/page-34

WOW! I love it when someone presents something that I've never even heard of, before! That's some cool chit, mahn!

Other than it being an SOHC, and being fairly short-lived, I don't know anything about 'em. Wasn't it only available in the Tempest and Firebird? Hell, maybe not even in the Tempest. I'll let you educate me on it, rather than the internet (that's cheating). ;)

I honestly don't know much about them. They were available in Firebird and Tempest/Lemans. I've read that they were based off of the Chevy I-6, but with Pontiac tweaking. They came in two flavors, 160 hp 1-barrel carb or 215 hp 4-barrel. I've been told the 215 hp version was competitive with standard 326 cars, but that's hearsay. I think I read that the Pontiac OHC 6 was the first production engine to use a timing belt. They're fairly rare today which makes them a little cooler to me.

I was out in the country today. I kept seeing chrome bumpers sticking out and came across probably 6-7 tri-fives in people's backyards/barns/garages, but this Dodge was the only one I could get a pic of. I think it ran-when-parked.

Wow, blurry pic. That's what happens when you take them at speed. :sneaky:

IMG_1663.JPG

I honestly don't know much about them. They were available in Firebird and Tempest/Lemans. I've read that they were based off of the Chevy I-6, but with Pontiac tweaking. They came in two flavors, 160 hp 1-barrel carb or 215 hp 4-barrel. I've been told the 215 hp version was competitive with standard 326 cars, but that's hearsay. I think I read that the Pontiac OHC 6 was the first production engine to use a timing belt. They're fairly rare today which makes them a little cooler to me.

I recall passing on buying at least two early Firebirds because they had that engine in 'em. In hindsight, I probably should've bought them. This was back in the early '80s, when one could be a bit more selective about what old cars were worth having. My, how times have changed...:confused:

Those exterior shots almost look like a model car someone built. Something about those tail lights looks off/funky (especially the backup lights). The interior and engine pics look legit, though. Regardless, it's a nice looking car.

The wheels look like they're 17" maybe... That definitely throws off the look for me.

Reactions: Squatch