Car pics too cool not to share

Though the technique isn't as widely used as others, I believe what the builder did was tunnel the headlights. Typically, when someone would "tunnel" their headlights (or taillights), they would pull the lights back further into the body and/or fenders. It looks like whomever built this Merc simply added extensions around the headlights, which in my humble opinion, simply doesn't work well with the car.

I found this description from a model car site:
"Tunneling" referred to the technique of setting headlights (and in many cases, taillights) deeply into their respective fenders/quarter panels by means of using or creating a sheet metal tube matching the shape/diameter of sealed beam headlights and round or oval taillight fixtures. The resulting "tube" resembled the concept of a tunnel, with the headlight or taillight set well into the bodywork, behind the original lines and shapes of the fenders or quarters.

So reversed tunneling in this case? The "bug eye" sets it off but not in the way he'd intended.

Reactions: reddvltj
So reversed tunneling in this case? The "bug eye" sets it off but not in the way he'd intended.

Yeah, I guess you kinda could look at it that way.

For what it's worth, the '56 Continental Mark II looked like that straight from the factory...
1712083190388.png

1712083216935.png

Yeah, I guess you kinda could look at it that way.

For what it's worth, the '56 Continental Mark II looked like that straight from the factory...
View attachment 514717

View attachment 514718

You guys are such a wealth of information. As I've said before I'm no where near the car nut some of you are. But I always appreciate the learning and sharing done here.

You guys are such a wealth of information. As I've said before I'm no where near the car nut some of you are. But I always appreciate the learning and sharing done here.

Cars are one of the very few things in life that I understand. They're a simple pleasure, to be sure. I could talk cars all day long, my friend! ;)

Though the technique isn't as widely used as others, I believe what the builder did was tunnel the headlights. Typically, when someone would "tunnel" their headlights (or taillights), they would pull the lights back further into the body and/or fenders. It looks like whomever built this Merc simply added extensions around the headlights, which in my humble opinion, simply doesn't work well with the car.

I had just run across that term. I've seen it in person over the years, but everyone generically refers to it as french'd. I've actually seen guys braze the original bezel/ring to the fender and smooth it into the body for paint, which I think is what happened on that '49. Either way, that's new terminology for me. I can't say I'm a fan. Maybe if they were sucked into the body.

1712085906222.jpeg

1712085922538.jpeg

View attachment 514654

Those headlights need to be set into the fender, not just smoothed/welded to it, and lose the scoops. It looks like bug eyes as is.

View attachment 514655

Also, what the hell is this, an exterior cupholder? Did App have apart in this? 🤔

View attachment 514656

I think it's just a missing gas door.

All my Colt's are stainless. All my cupholders are internal to my vehicle. Although several years ago my company had magnetic can koozies that would stick to the side of a vehicle. My truck is aluminum so that's no longer possible with it.

Cars are one of the very few things in life that I understand. They're a simple pleasure, to be sure. I could talk cars all day long, my friend! ;)

If you ever come to NC, I'll introduce you to some assholes I know who can't remember anything but old cars. :sneaky: But you better hurry, those guys are getting old and crabby.

Also, I agree, cars are a simple pleasure for me, that is until I have to pay someone to do something, then I'm mad. :LOL: Refusing to pay the price for repairs is why I have 3/4s of the tools that I have.

Last edited:

I enjoy talking about them but haven't anywhere the authority that some of you do.

If you ever come to NC, I'll introduce you to some assholes I know who can't remember anything but old cars. :sneaky:

Again I love talking about them but would be a total novice compared to most.

I enjoy talking about them but haven't anywhere the authority that some of you do.

You just have to jump in and do more listening than talking at first. Most cars people are way too nice, at least around here, except for Corvette guys, they are 90% assholes. You can even windup on some fun adventures with strangers in the car community. I have gone bouncing through peoples personal collections and old junkyards more that once just from a simple conversation that got out of hand. One time a few friends and I even had a 1/8th mile drag strip to ourselves for a few hours one evening simply because we talked to the right guy at the right time. That was a great experience.

We all started out that way, brother. It helps to be a cheap bastard. You find you have no choice but to learn it for yourself. As for the history of things automotive, that's just a passion. Well, that, and we have no lives. :sneaky:

You just have to jump in and do more listening than talking at first. Most cars people are way too nice, at least around here, except for Corvette guys, they are 90% assholes. You can even windup on some fun adventures with strangers in the car community. I have gone bouncing through peoples personal collections and old junkyards more that once just from a simple conversation that got out of hand. One time a few friends and I even had a 1/8th mile drag strip to ourselves for a few hours one evening simply because we talked to the right guy at the right time. That was a great experience.

Some of the best people I've ever met in life are car fanatics. They're easy to relate to, and typically don't have time to be anything other than what they appear (a car nut!). I mean, seriously, when have you ever heard of a car guy going postal and killing his family, or any other such crap? They're typically good-natured folks with an obsession for the automobile. Gotta love that!

Some of the best people I've ever met in life are car fanatics. They're easy to relate to, and typically don't have time to be anything other than what they appear (a car nut!). I mean, seriously, when have you ever heard of a car guy going postal and killing his family, or any other such crap? They're typically good-natured folks with an obsession for the automobile. Gotta love that!

Agreed, my exposure was limited once I joined the Army but I still read all the rags back then.

Look what working on my own stuff has done for me...

I was working on a buddies Mazda pickup when my wife (ex now) got thrown from her horse and fractured her back. I was in a NCO school at the time too so had to drop out. Took two weeks off to take care of her and my son. Used my sons cheap walkie-talkies to keep in touch.

The club I was in there in MD all the members drove big American Iron & I was driving a Nissan pickup.

Also called "frenching", though some say tunneling is a deeper set.

Yeah, I grew up with tunneling definitely being a deeper set. Sometimes the nomenclature is confused by well-intended folks. I read online today where one guy was informing a novice that tunneling was dropping the body down over the frame. Ummm...no. That's channeling. Oh, well. First-world problems, ya know? ;)