Car pics too cool not to share

I struggle with the notion of auto-braking, lane assistance, blind spot mirrors, etc.. On the one hand, I can see where they could be beneficial. Other the other hand, however, I believe they give the driver a false sense of security, and the driver becomes reliant on these features, rather than focusing on practicing the skills they should develop when getting behind the wheel. Technology is something of a double-edged sword.

That's why basically every safety improvement isn't as effective as it should be: people adjust their behavior for reduced perceived risk and to more risks. But at the end of the day cars are much safer than they used to be.

My cars, and several friends cars wind up sitting because we're scared some f'n moron on their phone will hit us.
You mean like what happened to me? Ok, so the guy claimed he was driving tired and "closed his eyes for a moment" - and maybe he did. But between my utter hatred for all things smartphone and the fact that the damn things cause all sorts of carnage on the roads, I have my doubts about his story. In any event, my MBZ was sideswiped and I'm STILL waiting on parts...

You must not drive big cars. I have to phone a friend or pull over if I want a passenger side window rolled down in my Chrysler. :LOL:
I've driven all kinds of cars, big, small, tiny, huge. I still think power windows are stupid and a waste of money. That's one thing I utterly *LOVE* about my Jeep. I can go out and put the windows down like I do on every hot day, and no key needed, no nonsense. A very liberating feeling.

Reactions: TJ Jim
I struggle with the notion of auto-braking, lane assistance, blind spot mirrors, etc.. On the one hand, I can see where they could be beneficial. Other the other hand, however, I believe they give the driver a false sense of security, and the driver becomes reliant on these features, rather than focusing on practicing the skills they should develop when getting behind the wheel. Technology is something of a double-edged sword.
I have blind spot mirrors - one of the very first things I put on my Jeep. I've driven too many trucks over too many years not to have them. But you can keep the electronic bullshit - anything on a vehicle called "assist".

Reactions: Squatch
I have blind spot mirrors - one of the very first things I put on my Jeep. I've driven too many trucks over too many years not to have them. But you can keep the electronic bullshit - anything on a vehicle called "assist".
I believe the "blind spot mirrors" we're referring to are the mirrors that have a light in them that illuminates whenever a vehicle is within a certain range (I assume there are sensors somewhere at the rear of the vehicle). The old stick-on convex spot mirrors are on my truck, as well. (y)

Reactions: reddvltj
I believe the "blind spot mirrors" we're referring to are the mirrors that have a light in them that illuminates whenever a vehicle is within a certain range (I assume there are sensors somewhere at the rear of the vehicle). The old stick-on convex spot mirrors are on my truck, as well. (y)
I thought that was called "Blind spot monitoring" or somesuch?

First time I ever saw one of these was in 1980 at a car show with two of my future ex-wives ;). The car was incredible, and I've loved them ever since. If you've never seen one before, research 'em. Check out those sliding doors!

1953 Kaiser Darrin
1651593891407.png
1651593943967.png

1651593987851.png

Last edited:
I'd take it over an early Vette, but that's just me. The '54s came out in some gorgeous colors, while the '53s were more basic.
I would too, although the Vette looked damn fine starting in '57 (?) with the scoops in the doors. They lost the "sports car" vibe when they went to the "Stingray" styling IMHO - but with that said, the C3 is my fave Vette ever.

Reactions: Irun
1953 Kaiser Dragon. Check out the shape of the front and rear glass...

There used to be one of those sitting in a ditch along a rural road near me. The state paved that road ~15 years ago and it disappeared. I guess they scraped it. I'd hate to have to find those windshields. They'd probably have to be custom cut today. I think that was advertised as "extra vision".