Car pics too cool not to share

1960 Ford Starliner

X9byJDs&tn=uatXikXYIRL4O36X&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

The 413 cubic-inch Wedge V-8, so named because of the engine’s wedge-shaped combustion chambers, was first introduced in Chryslers for 1959, Dodge in 1961, and Plymouth in 1962. These motors were quickly put to good use by the Ramchargers, a racing team composed of Chrysler Corporation engineers, and their exploits crowned Mopar performance as the hottest ticket on dragstrips from coast-to-coast.

963-Dodge-330-Max-Wedge-Lightweight1012330_-scaled.jpg

As part of the Mopar assault on America’s dragstrips, Dodge purpose-built 34 Super Stock factory lightweight 330s in 1963 featuring aluminum front fenders, bumpers, bumper supports, and scoop-equipped hood. A trunk-mounted battery helped weight distribution and heavy-duty components throughout enhanced performance.

963-Dodge-330-Max-Wedge-Lightweight1012338_-scaled.jpg

963-Dodge-330-Max-Wedge-Lightweight1012334_-scaled.jpg

1978 Ford Bronco with a modern touch.

The rims KILL it for me plus the headlights aren't my first choice. I guess if you have the money.

View attachment 396637

View attachment 396638

We all know already how much Zorba won't approve of the dash.

View attachment 396639

Nice job on the engine compartment.

View attachment 396640

I get what they were trying to do. It’s certainly unique and the rims match the theme. BUT, I would rather have the original stuff (except maybe the seats and the coyote).

That 330 is at least 85 kinds of cool!! I wonder how many still exist.

I used to know a basic answer to that, but not anymore. Ultimately, MoPar produced the most of the factory ringers, a few hundred cars if I remember correctly. I've seen at least a handful of real documented Super Stock and Max Wedge cars.

I love the factory fighters of the '60s. I'd say Ford was second with production numbers of the Thunderbolt (100) which I've seen 2-3 of, then Chevy with the '63 Z-11 (~50) which I've seen 3 of, then Pontiac with the "Swiss Cheese Pontiac" at 14 produced. Chevy also produced 10-20 '62 Z-11 style cars, and I think only 1 or 2 of the original cars still exist.

A documented '62 car
1675267054857.png

I'm not one to show off but speaking of Thunderbolts here's some pictures I've taken.

The first Thunderbolt:
Thunderbolt 1 (1).jpg

067.JPG

Thunderbolt 1 (2).jpg

065.JPG

And I wish those brothers were side by side but they aren't twins, heck one ain't even a Thunderbolt but I post these two pictures anyway.
sixties drag (8).jpg

070.JPG

Back to Thunderbolts, two more with a side shot of the closer one:
sixties drag (5).jpg

sixties drag (6).jpg

And the end of the line 😥
Thunderbolt 100 (2).jpg

Thunderbolt 100 (1).jpg

074.JPG

And since I noticed these in my collection from the same place, I present to you "The Original Tameless Tiger"
View attachment 397065

View attachment 397067

View attachment 397066

And what I would say is the cream of the crop, the Big Red Dodge, raced by a local dealership that was closed by political activist (obama) in 2008😤
View attachment 397069

View attachment 397071

View attachment 397072

View attachment 397073

View attachment 397070

There's some beautiful metal in those pics. 😍 I've never heard of the "Tameless Tiger", looks like a fun car. What's the deal with the Galaxie beside of it? And is this one person's collection?

I'm not one to show off but speaking of Thunderbolts here's some pictures I've taken.

The first Thunderbolt:
View attachment 397042

View attachment 397044

View attachment 397043

View attachment 397037

And I wish those brothers were side by side but they aren't twins, heck one ain't even a Thunderbolt but I post these two pictures anyway.
View attachment 397047

View attachment 397048

Back to Thunderbolts, two more with a side shot of the closer one:
View attachment 397062

View attachment 397063

And the end of the line 😥
View attachment 397045

View attachment 397046

View attachment 397064

I'm digging the idea of the smaller , lighter 2nd gen Falcon with the same FE 7.0 !
But I love me some L-79 350 h.p. 327 in a 66 Chevy II !

13-1509722529005@2x-1154120811.jpg

There's some beautiful metal in those pics. 😍 I've never heard of the "Tameless Tiger", looks like a fun car. What's the deal with the Galaxie beside of it? And is this one person's collection?

I actually have a Johnny Lightning of the Tameless Tiger". My Dad owned a '63 Tempest with the 326 V8 in it, as well as a slant-4 version. Anyone remember the one unusual thing about the '61-'63 Tempest (other than the slant-4, I mean)?

Reactions: reddvltj

I don't know the specifics of that Galaxie. I do know that what I posted is probably about 10% of the whole museum and almost every vehicle is owned by the same guy. Maybe not the Tameless Tiger though. I wish I knew for sure.

I actually have a Johnny Lightning of the Tameless Tiger". My Dad owned a '63 Tempest with the 326 V8 in it, as well as a slant-4 version. Anyone remember the one unusual thing about the '61-'63 Tempest (other than the slant-4, I mean)?

"Rope drive". Not the best name but I'll let you describe how that works. Oh yeah, maybe a rear mounted transaxle ?

"Rope drive". Not the best name but I'll let you describe how that works. Oh yeah, maybe a rear mounted transaxle ?

Absolutely! As for describing it, I'll take the easy way out, and steal a section from Wikipedia:

"It shared sheet metal with the Oldsmobile F-85, the first-generation Tempest had several features that differentiated it from the other compact GM cars. The engine was a 195 cubic inch (3.2 L) straight-4[7] marketed as the "Trophy 4," derived from the right cylinder bank of Pontiac's 389 cubic inch "Trophy 8" V8 engine.[8] The Tempest featured a drivetrain with a rear-mounted transaxle[9] that was coupled to a torque shaft arcing in a 3 in (76 mm) downward bow within a curved, longitudinal tunnel. Use of the torque shaft was the result of being forced to use the Corvair floorpan which, being a rear engine platform, had no drive shaft.[5] To combine flexibility with strength in the proper proportion, the shaft was forged of SAE 8660 steel (high nickel, chrome and molybdenum alloying percentages) for torsion bar specifications. For automatic cars, the shaft was 0.65 in (17 mm) in diameter and 87.25 in (2.216 m) long, while the manual-box shaft was 0.75 in (19 mm) by 82 in (2.1 m). This joined the forward engine and the rear transaxle (therefore no transmission hump) into a single unit, helping to reduce vibration.[10] The design, known as "rope drive," had only been seen previously on General Motors' 1951 Le Sabre concept car.[11]"

A number of years ago, I was with a buddy at the large, local automotive swap meet that happens twice a year. A friend of his came up and announced that he had just come from the "Car Corral", where he had bought the '63 Tempest with the 326 in it. I mentioned the "flexible driveshaft" and the transaxle set-up, and he looked at me like I was crazy. We walked over to the car, and I showed him. He was both intrigued, and concerned, as he should be. Parts for them are not that easy to come by, and repairing the unique drivetrain can be challenging. Hell, even the engine block is unique to the set-up, as the bellhousing mounting points are shared with no other Pontiac. Who'd a thunk it? :unsure: