Car pics too cool not to share

I know the group you’re referring to. I’m not a fan of smug/judgmental thinking either though I wish I could say I’ve never been guilty of it on one topic or another

That 'bout sums it up! :)

My (then) teenage son and daughter were with me at the local Safeway, when my daughter was trying to describe one of the original Insights that she had seen in the parking lot. She said "You know...it has those weird fender-dresses that cover the back wheels." :LOL: Now I can't see a car with fender-skirts without thinking of that day.

To the Prius, I've actually been impressed with the first gen or two, enough so that I considered buying one for my work car, but when I ran the numbers they made less sense than a standard Civic. There's two around here who's long term, maybe original owners use them like little trucks. I've seen them hauling hay, feed, bricks etc. and those little cars just keep trucking.

While I can appreciate your viewpoint, I find that it's not actually the Prius that I struggle with, but the owners. I don't really feel like getting into at the moment (no enthusiasm for it, is all). I would drive a Nissan Leaf (all electric) before I'd drive a Prius. And I actually like the first Honda Insight!

View attachment 397695

A motorcycle shop around here took an Insight when they were about 5 years old and swapped in a crotch rocket engine and trans. It might have even been turbo'd. Either way, they used to take it to shows and roast tires with that thing. It looked fun.

While I can appreciate your viewpoint, I find that it's not actually the Prius that I struggle with, but the owners. I don't really feel like getting into at the moment (no enthusiasm for it, is all). I would drive a Nissan Leaf (all electric) before I'd drive a Prius. And I actually like the first Honda Insight!
This. Plus I think gasoline-electric is stupid - all that expensive technology to make a gas motor the approximate equal of a diesel. Show me a diesel-electric hybrid and then you'd have something. The Nissan Leaf makes more sense to me as well, not that I want one. Give me an EV that doesn't use pricey Lith-ion batteries (read: lead acid or similar), has a real world range of about 60 miles at 60 MPH, and doesn't have a bunch of touchscreens and computers and you'd have my attention.

I thought the 1st gen Insight was cool as well. But why is the Prius so simpering looking?

Reactions: Squatch
This. Plus I think gasoline-electric is stupid - all that expensive technology to make a gas motor the approximate equal of a diesel. Show me a diesel-electric hybrid and then you'd have something. The Nissan Leaf makes more sense to me as well, not that I want one. Give me an EV that doesn't use pricey Lith-ion batteries (read: lead acid or similar), has a real world range of about 60 miles at 60 MPH, and doesn't have a bunch of touchscreens and computers and you'd have my attention.

I thought the 1st gen Insight was cool as well. But why is the Prius so simpering looking?

All this comes down to what's the "cost per mile" including purchase price , fuel , maintenance , depreciation , insurance , etc...
If you run the numbers even a paid for 20 year old TJ will give an EV a run for the money. And some beater Civic or Corolla will blow away an EV in actual cost savings. But hey most EV owners just want to " salve " their conscience with green bull crap ideology .
Some who wants to save money should buy a POS like this !

th-3113758152.jpg

A motorcycle shop around here took an Insight when they were about 5 years old and swapped in a crotch rocket engine and trans. It might have even been turbo'd. Either way, they used to take it to shows and roast tires with that thing. It looked fun.

I may have seen a YouTube video of that one. If not, there's another shop out there that's done something very similar. (y)

Reactions: BlueC
All this comes down to what's the "cost per mile" including purchase price , fuel , maintenance , depreciation , insurance , etc...
If you run the numbers even a paid for 20 year old TJ will give an EV a run for the money. And some beater Civic or Corolla will blow away an EV in actual cost savings. But hey most EV owners just want to " salve " their conscience with green bull crap ideology .
Some who wants to save money should buy a POS like this !

View attachment 397741

Yup! The only thing that concerns me about driving a Metro would be being involved in an accident where my life would be put at risk. You know, like some kid on a Schwinn running into me, or something...:sneaky:

Yup! The only thing that concerns me about driving a Metro would be being involved in an accident where my life would be put at risk. You know, like some kid on a Schwinn running into me, or something...:sneaky:

Funny you mention that. I watched a 72 Stupid Beetle smack the left rear corner of a Metro once... The Bug drove away the metro got towed away and was totalled by the insurance company.. This was back in like '89 or '90

Of course a metro is basically a enclosed motorcycle with all the same safety features , funny how nobody ever mentions the survivability of a Harley ! :D