Car pics too cool not to share

Looks like a 40 Chevy to me!

Of course I saw Squatch's reply to I.D. this car this morning when I was at work......

18510913-1940-chevrolet-special-deluxe-std-140479410.jpg
:rolleyes:
For my oversight here's a real nice 40 Chevy.

… I appreciate both when done right.

Me too. An all original car is a time capsule and easy to love for any auto enthusiast. In addition to the work itself, I assume the difficulty in a stock restoration is in the research and finding parts. A resto-mod is probably easier to do in some ways but hard to pull off in others because you’re messing with everyone else‘s memories. Also, not all resto-mods age welll.

Me too. An all original car is a time capsule and easy to love for any auto enthusiast. In addition to the work itself, I assume the difficulty in a stock restoration is in the research and finding parts. A resto-mod is probably easier to do in some ways but hard to pull off in others because you’re messing with everyone else‘s memories. Also, not all resto-mods age welll.

Well-said, my friend. As far as not all resto-mods aging well, one only need to remember the time of monochromatic paint schemes and billet aluminum accessories to substantiate your point.

In addition to the work itself, I assume the difficulty in a stock restoration is in the research and finding parts.

Broadly speaking yes, those are the major hurdles with a quality, factory style restoration, and depending on what level of detail someone is looking for it can get a little crazy, like what color markings or shade of paint is part X to be.

Here's some of the crap I know about various restorations, for C1-C3 Corvette restorations, body and paint work too good will deduct points. '60s MoPar lower control arms are usually bare metal and uppers were partially paint dipped. In '55 Studebaker switched engine paint colors halfway through the build year.... I have a lot of this crap floating around in my head. If only I could turn it into profit. :unsure:

Talking about the parts search aspect, I recently lucked-up on my birthday and found a part, for a reasonable price, that I had been looking for about 15 years. o_O

This one is another "What is it?"
Based on the grill I'm guessing a Ford but?

I don't recognize it right off, but it has a ~'40 Buick or Olds vibe to me.
Wayyyyy closer than my guess.

1940 Chevy...
And I was way off, after googling early 40s Fords today it looks like the 1942 Ford was on my mind but not even close to those GMs especially the 1940 Chevy.

And I was way off, after googling early 40s Fords today it looks like the 1942 Ford was on my mind but not even close to those GMs especially the 1940 Chevy.

I'm a little familiar with Fords from ~'30-WWII. I knew it wasn't one of those. Idk why Chevy didn't cross my mind, but it's not a bad looking car. I'm not sure if I’ve ever seen one in person.

An 18 litre (1098 cu in) Ford GAA V8 petrol engine, used in American tanks during the Second World War. It is one of the largest petrol V8s ever made.

This engine produced around 500 hp and mountains of torque, and was used in tanks such as the M4A3 Sherman and the M26 Pershing. It was one of the best Allied tank engines of the war.

_nc_ohc=D_lnDIzW4J8AX9OMoRz&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

An 18 litre (1098 cu in) Ford GAA V8 petrol engine, used in American tanks during the Second World War. It is one of the largest petrol V8s ever made.

This engine produced around 500 hp and mountains of torque, and was used in tanks such as the M4A3 Sherman and the M26 Pershing. It was one of the best Allied tank engines of the war.

View attachment 406003

The only Ford that would look good in a Chevy. ;)

The only Ford that would look good in a Chevy. ;)

I have seen one but never worked on them. I have played with the engines in a M60 & M88 tank.

Continental AVDS-1790-2 V12, air-cooled twin-turbo diesel engine 750 bhp

Continental_AV-1790-5B.jpg

The M88 Recovery tank is a fun rig to play with.

1024px-M88_Armored_Recovery_Vehicle_in_pm.jpg

Pulling the pack of a M1A2 main battle tank.

M88_pulling_M1_engine.jpg

For those who have never seen a Ford GAA in person, they have a way of making things look small. I've only seen them on pulling tractors.

View attachment 406167

View attachment 406168

And If One giant tank / airplane engine isn't enough , someone already has installed (4) V-24 Allison 1710 C.I.D engines and 4 wheel drive.
Plus dual slicks all the way around ! I would love to hear this monster run !
510f6a078b2fbd39370374830dbc2713-2209732456.jpg

And If One giant tank / airplane engine isn't enough , someone already has installed (4) V-24 Allison 1710 C.I.D engines and 4 wheel drive.
Plus dual slicks all the way around ! I would love to hear this monster run !
View attachment 406174

I love that they're using such a small car body (a fiberglass rendition of a Fiat Topolino) for such a monstrosity. Makes everything else look even larger!