Cargo Compartment (TRUNK)

waretrop

For the record I rarely use my 03 Jeep in winter. Her name is Sunny-Side-Up. I do keep the top on in the garage in case of emergeny but when spring comes I keep the top down and try only to use it for the nice weather days. I go to the gun range many times during the week and sometimes on weekends. I always save on gas by doing many little errands along the way. My everyday carry is ON ME except for a PO visit. As spring comes and my top was off for the summer, I had no safe and secure place to store my pistols and ammo while running to a meeting or store on the way to the range. I took the back seat out, seat bolts and seat belts so the floor was all flat. I have no intention on having more than one passenger in this vehicle with me. I have other cars for that.
I looked at pro manufactured trunks and the price vs the amount of space in them was not going to work for me. I also couldn’t remove them at will.
I went to my sheet metal guy and we sat down and talked. He said he could help me out. He started by making a bracket that set under the footman loop on the floor behind the seats.
The box is heavy guage stuff and has 4 parts. It takes about 10 minutes to put it together and doesn’t even lock. I can open the center top and slide it behind the front seats to put something in there that would be tall, like a large plant or take the whole thing out and lay it flat to put something really big in the back. It is put together with 4 wingnuts. Because of these brackets sliding under the straps and the back of it butts right up against the tailgate, the locking feature is the tailgate. It’s not water tight but sprinkles will be ok. I can stop and put the top up if I run into a down poor. I will keep a small lock safe inside, it being bolted to another loop, for my pistols. I feel someone that is going to try to get into this box will probably steal the while Jeep first.
I wanted it to be simple and not permanent so I could have the freedom to remove it at will. I am very happy with the results and would recommend it to anyone who wants safe and simple.
For local Jeep owners Fuller Fabrications in Brodheadsville, Pa. is my sheet metal guy. I use them for all kinds of things. They tweak things just the way I want them to.

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

car3.jpg

car4.jpg

car5.jpg

car6.jpg

I've got a Tuffy trunk because I need the seat. I do like the clean lines of your install. How strong is the top? Will it withstand the weight of a couple of 80# labs? Or would you need extra bracing.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

I think it could take a good amount of weight. He used at least 1/8 " plate steel on mine. What's nice is that he made it for me. For the things that I needed. It is a comfort to know that I can lock my tailgate and have a secure area on outings without my top on. I do have a gun safe that will be mounted in there also. I realize they may steal the dang vehicle along with my gun but I feel safer with my cargo compartment.

Nice,
I am planing on building something similar to your setup but mounting it from the top of the tub kinda like a deck cover.

You might be able to make yours water tight if you add a lip with a rubber seal where the center piece could rest on.

@joejp511 I went back to talk to Shawn in Brodheadville today and my compartment is made of 14 guage steel and will hold 80 pounds plus he has bends in it that would make it even stronger.

@JeepNWilly You can easily make this water proof but I never take it out in hard rain and can always put up my top if I get in trouble with that..

I didn't want to make it more complicated or increase the cost. It was $325. and I liked that..

He may make me a one inch shelf just under the top of it for the back windows to slide into. That way I can always have them with me. Right now I leave them in the garage most of the time. Remember I only take Sunny-Side-Up out to play in nice days...

Last edited:
My 1999 Jeep stays outside all year round. Never take the hard top off but I will make that compartment water proof..

I've been thinking of doing something similar. I'd like a lockable waterproof enclosure to go behind the bench seat in my LJ.

This looks great. Which state are you in?

@oldb Thanks...I am loving it....

@Jay . I am in the north east part of Pa. I think it was just over $300.00....I am thinking of having him do one for my 1999 jeep. Plan on taking the hard top off soon and running around in it this summer....

@Machinehead49 I never knew...I wonder what people thought my whole life when I called the "Post Office" "PO". Thank you for bringing this to my attention...I have done it for probably 50 years but I will never use it again. LOL

So here is my answer to water proofing my new little trunk. Remember I don't drive my Jeep, Sunny Side Up, in the rain. This is in case I get caught out in a storm unexpectedly. I Picked up one of those rolled up plastic mats from Lowe's. It lays over the top surface just in case I get caught in rain until I can stop and get the top up. That only happened one time when I was farther away from home and didn't look at the weather. I look in advance now before I go out of my area.
trunk 6r.jpg

trunk7r.jpg

trunk8r.jpg

My next thing is to make the top look better when folded down. Want the inside part to stay clean...which is facing upward when folded down.