Cargo rack over spare tire?

Boomer453

TJ Enthusiast
You guys gave some great advice regarding a winch (went with a warn evo) thanks for that. Next thing I'm looking for is a cargo rack for over the spare tire? Opinions on whether that the best choice or another option.
Basically a place to store a duffel or cooler etc.

Reactions: Scoutmapper
How is your current spare attached? The majority of the cargo racks are designed to work with swing out bumper tire carriers. I believe there are a few that work with the stock tire carrier but are limited in size and capacity due to load limits on the tailgate.

A cheap and easy alternative would be a hitch receiver cargo carrier. Could easily put up to 3-400 lbs depending upon the size. They would kill your departure angle off-road though.

There are over-the-roof options available as well. I've seen a few small baskets that bolt to the hardtop.

Beyond that, you also have the full roof racks, but that is likely far more than you need. This is the direction I'm going. I'm going to be installing a Garvin expedition rack, which is 54"x72" and carries 300 lbs.

I have a bumper/tire carrier fabricated by DIRTWORX that has a removable cargo rack above the spare tire. I like it a lot but only run it if I’m camping. Easy to access and can hold a reasonable amount of weight. Just checked out the site and don’t see it in the pics but he’ll make anything you want if you touch base.

Reactions: Leroy_TJ
There are many commercial options for these. Rock Hard 4x4 is one.

RH-2004-2T.jpg

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-2004.htm

I ran an over-the-spare cargo rack on my CJ for a while during the 1990's. It worked fine for a lunch cooler and lightweight stuff, but I never liked that much weight up high nor did I like how the gear in the rack impaired rear vision. I eventually sold it.

Reactions: billiebob

View attachment 150096

I ran an over-the-spare cargo rack on my CJ for a while during the 1990's. It worked fine for a lunch cooler and lightweight stuff, but I never liked that much weight up high nor did I like how the gear in the rack impaired rear vision. I eventually sold it.
I have this rack as well. A Pelican 1615 case almost perfectly fits this rack, as do a few different types of coolers.

View attachment 150096

That looks like one for a swing out. OP hasn't yet said what he has on the back. Somebody makes one that fits the stock spare tire mount that is a receiver, but again, that weight/ leverage factor on the stock hinges (if OP has stock hinges) comes in to play.
@Boomer453 , what do you have back there?
That would help w/ advice.

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner, offshore mexico working and the virus thing has it a bit of a mess down here.

I have a swing out carrier on the back.

I ran the Hard Rock 4x4 rack also for years. I used it for lite weight things like sleeping bags etc. I also did not like have any amount of weight that high up. When I would get off camber I could really tell if I had a lot of weight on it, but again if you use for lite stuff it's fine

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_5492.jpg

Iphone6 1561.JPG

Reactions: Steel City 06
I ran the Hard Rock 4x4 rack also for years. I used it for lite weight things like sleeping bags etc. I also did not like have any amount of weight that high up. When I would get off camber I could really tell if I had a lot of weight on it, but again if you use for lite stuff it's fine

View attachment 150458

View attachment 150459

View attachment 150460
I believe the cargo rack is rated to 100 lbs. Which seems reasonable. Combined with 2 full Jerry cans, up to a 38” spare, a couple antennas, and a Hi-lift, it ends up being an impressive amount of weight on the bumper. They also rate the bumper to tow whatever the vehicle is rated to tow (so up to 3500 lbs GTW for an LJ).

In addition, the rack is both height adjustable (4 positions) and depth adjustable (2 positions). The way you have yours set up is great for the hard top. I set mine at the closer depth when I’m using a soft top.